Security Installer Community

Shawley

Tagfcuk

Just heard on the grapevine that Shawley are going into liquidation on the 21st of December their staff are getting the chop. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

In the same year as Baxall bit the dust this is another good ol' British CCTV brand dying off.

Just heard on the grapevine that Shawley are going into liquidation on the 21st of December their staff are getting the chop. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

In the same year as Baxall bit the dust this is another good ol' British CCTV brand dying off.

How very depressing :(

I am sure if the opportunity arises to say "Blah" should you be so unfortunate as to lose your job at Christmas there will be a queue of people to do so.

no worries Mr tagfcuk, on mod prewview at the time hence the "blah"

another good ol' British CCTV brand dying off.

is it the firm failing or the country, giving the amount of tat coming from china I surprised their are any left at all, IMHO most electronic stuff imported into the UK will cost more in WEE & landfill tax's to chuck away than to manufacture & ship....

no worries Mr tagfcuk, on mod prewview at the time hence the "blah"

is it the firm failing or the country, giving the amount of tat coming from china I surprised their are any left at all, IMHO most electronic stuff imported into the UK will cost more in WEE & landfill tax's to chuck away than to manufacture & ship....

Now that is a topic in itself. Whilst I firmly believe that the majority of UK manufacturers adhere to the standards imposed on us (some good some less so) there is a question over the Asian imports and whether they respect the same standards or simply have the stickers. We have seen so many products that can in no way meet the standards of EMC let alone more recent ones but as there is not enough (or none at all) resources to police these products they will continue to come and win market share. This is, of course, not exclusive to our industry as Mattel toys has recently shown.

However if the buyer is faced with such a large gap in prices between a company that carries the burden of legislation and one that does not then it is going to be a tough judgement call in a competitive market. The buyer will always argue that the manufacturer claims the same standards even though they must know it not to be the case.

One of the more frightening examples of this I have seen recently are a couple of EX rated products that are available from Asia. Now I would not mind taking a risk on 12vdc dome but a unit that is being installed on a drilling platform and claims to be intrinsically safe is a different matter morally.

Archived