Security Installer Community

Bs5839 1988

Could anyone tell me where I can find a copy of the 1988 version of bs5839. It would be handy background reading in quoteing non conformances to the current regs if I knew more of the specifics of when they were in regs.

I know about suck things as non fire cable being used, fire cable for alarm cts, amendments for fire cable to call points etc. But I went to 3 properties yesterday all owned by the same chap owned and fire systems put in at the same time 20+ years ago. I assume by the same guy as the systems layout is identical.

Did 1998 allow any weirdness as far as siting of detectors? About 75% of the detectors are about 2" from walls or corners or rooms. obviously a serious no no today but was that the way back in 1988???? I was 15 when that regs came out so bit before my time. Not encountered this before to this extent in a property so made me wonder whether the installer was a guy from the pub or it was acceptable at the time. I can't imagine it would have been acceptable but am I wrong?

I am going to recommend a rewire of the system in strongest terms as there are other issues as only one callpoint at front door, many detectors being 14+ years old, bell sounders only in stairwells so less than 65dB in rooms (very quiet in some)...... but it goes back to the argument of detailing non conformances, but was acceptable at time of installation etc

Thanks

John

Guest Cerberus NI
Could anyone tell me where I can find a copy of the 1988 version of bs5839. It would be handy background reading in quoteing non conformances to the current regs if I knew more of the specifics of when they were in regs.

I know about suck things as non fire cable being used, fire cable for alarm cts, amendments for fire cable to call points etc. But I went to 3 properties yesterday all owned by the same chap owned and fire systems put in at the same time 20+ years ago. I assume by the same guy as the systems layout is identical.

Did 1998 allow any weirdness as far as siting of detectors? About 75% of the detectors are about 2" from walls or corners or rooms. obviously a serious no no today but was that the way back in 1988???? I was 15 when that regs came out so bit before my time. Not encountered this before to this extent in a property so made me wonder whether the installer was a guy from the pub or it was acceptable at the time. I can't imagine it would have been acceptable but am I wrong?

I am going to recommend a rewire of the system in strongest terms as there are other issues as only one callpoint at front door, many detectors being 14+ years old, bell sounders only in stairwells so less than 65dB in rooms (very quiet in some)...... but it goes back to the argument of detailing non conformances, but was acceptable at time of installation etc

Thanks

John

I've been doing fire for 17 years now and as far as detector locations go it was always 18" out (roughly 500mm).

I've been doing fire for 17 years now and as far as detector locations go it was always 18" out (roughly 500mm).

:yes:

Always at least one celing tile from the wall, remember in domestic installs the wiring normally goes via the landings and keeping the detector close to the entrance door of the room makes for easier/less wiring which would explain the locations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

it makes no odds when it was installed,it has to be checked against the current standard which gives you a good reason not to waste money on buying 1988.

list all non compliances to 2002 c.o.p

1988's siting and spacing are excatly the same as 2002

Guest Cerberus NI
Current regs are not retro spective, are they not :)

Correct but you have a duty to make the client/customer aware of the fact that their system falls short of current regulations as a competant service organization.

As GJM has said,save your money and effort in tracing old regulations.

Correct but you have a duty to make the client/customer aware of the fact that their system falls short of current regulations as a competant service organization.

As GJM has said,save your money and effort in tracing old regulations.

I agree however I feel it would be handy to take a brief history lesson as I can happily list all the non compliances to current regs but do not know whether it complied to 1988 regs and hence may still pass inspection but have list of non conformities to current regs. Don't work on many 20 yr old systems but rather be educated than unsure.

Archived