Security Installer Community

Battery Drop Testing

We have one of those IBTgold battery testers. It seems ok for small sealed lead acid batterys.

We made enquirys about battery testers. We where advised that impedance testing does not give realiable results on big

glass-matt batterys.

I'v tried the IBTgold tester on a couple of brands of 100+ amp hour batteries with fairly useless results. The manual suggests scaling up the results after checking some batterys in known condition. I didn't get consistant results with the IBTgold and gave up on it.

We usually use a 10amp test load for big batterys. I checked the peak current when the equipment is in alarm with a clamp meter. The test load gives a good indication if the batterys will run the equipment for at least a few hours.

I bought one of these testers in the end. Not sure how accurate it is though. Seems to over egg on some makes of battery and under estimate on others.

We have one of those IBTgold battery testers. It seems ok for small sealed lead acid batterys.

We made enquirys about battery testers. We where advised that impedance testing does not give realiable results on big

glass-matt batterys.

I'v tried the IBTgold tester on a couple of brands of 100+ amp hour batteries with fairly useless results. The manual suggests scaling up the results after checking some batterys in known condition. I didn't get consistant results with the IBTgold and gave up on it.

We usually use a 10amp test load for big batterys. I checked the peak current when the equipment is in alarm with a clamp meter. The test load gives a good indication if the batterys will run the equipment for at least a few hours.

Archived