Security Installer Community

Connecting Contacts, Bell Pir's

Driller

Guest anguscanplay
just get it all connected with-out power,then power it up ,worse case scenario is that you blow a fuse .You should always carry spares anyhow,if youre only a diyer don't bother with current readings ,they don't tell you much imo and you probably wont know what they mean anyway if you're only an enthusiast,your just gonna complicate matters.

you can then disconnect everything till you find what blew?

try and take a full set of readings - resistance of cable and resistance of the device inc resistors, current to each device and total current taken by the system, voltage at the device and voltages into and out of the battery,same again for the outside sounder too and if your up to it take a reading of the induced AC voltage

they might mean nothing now but will be handy if you start to get one of those annoying faults at anytime in the future

just get it all connected with-out power,then power it up ,worse case scenario is that you blow a fuse .You should always carry spares anyhow,if youre only a diyer don't bother with current readings ,they don't tell you much imo and you probably wont know what they mean anyway if you're only an enthusiast,your just gonna complicate matters.

Not really 'best practice'.

Always advisable to check/test each circuit before applying power. It is simply wrong to assume the fuse will definitely protect the circuitry.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Guest anguscanplay
Not really 'best practice'.

Always advisable to check/test each circuit before applying power. It is simply wrong to assume the fuse will definitely protect the circuitry.

some thick joiner might have put a nail through a cable

you can then disconnect everything till you find what blew?

try and take a full set of readings - resistance of cable and resistance of the device inc resistors, current to each device and total current taken by the system, voltage at the device and voltages into and out of the battery,same again for the outside sounder too and if your up to it take a reading of the induced AC voltage

they might mean nothing now but will be handy if you start to get one of those annoying faults at anytime in the future

Like i said youre just gonna complicate matters,this guy is a diyer not a full blown alarm engineer.Take an induced AC reading hmm i wonder how many engineers do that?Or better still know how to ,before anyone starts i know how to lol.And after 12 years have only had to do it maybe 2 times.

The reason i said connect everything up then power it up is that if does have any faults,by blowing a fuse it will tell him exactly (in most cases)where the fault stems from.i.e rkp has own fuse ,so does bell,battery and aux voltage so location of fault is pretty much childs play

As for taking readings if this guy is a diyer he wont have a clue what the readings mean,

Guest Dave the alarm man
Take an induced AC reading after 12 years have only had to do it maybe 2 times.

each to their own

by blowing a fuse it will tell him exactly (in most cases)where the fault stems from.i.e rkp has own fuse ,so does bell,battery and aux voltage

depends on product.......

each to their own

depends on product.......

If you run your cables Dave in the correct place why would you need to test for induction?

Yes your right it does depend on the product ,but most panels have individual fuses.

Guest anguscanplay
Like i said youre just gonna complicate matters,this guy is a diyer not a full blown alarm engineer.

you spoke to him? real life I mean like on the phone? don`t be so patronising

Take an induced AC reading hmm i wonder how many engineers do that?Or better still know how to ,before anyone starts i know how to lol.And after 12 years have only had to do it maybe 2 times.

:no: - it needs to be taken ( and recorded on every install)

The reason i said connect everything up then power it up is that if does have any faults,by blowing a fuse it will tell him exactly (in most cases)where the fault stems from.i.e rkp has own fuse ,so does bell,battery and aux voltage so location of fault is pretty much childs play

you ever seen a gardtec on fire cause of a short on the speaker pair ? worked with anything over 6 curcuits? fault found at 2.30am? :no:

As for taking readings if this guy is a diyer he wont have a clue what the readings mean,

but a real engineer will if he needs to call one in

do it right and it`ll not be time wasted

you spoke to him? real life I mean like on the phone? don`t be so patronising

:no: - it needs to be taken ( and recorded on every install)

you ever seen a gardtec on fire cause of a short on the speaker pair ? worked with anything over 6 curcuits? fault found at 2.30am? :no:

but a real engineer will if he needs to call one in

do it right and it`ll not be time wasted

If it needs to be recorded everytime how come you was asking on an earlier thread how to do it.

And ive never seen it on my checklist to record it ,has anyone on here i wonder?And dont mean to sound patronising at all,thats the way you have interpreted what i said ,he has not give any clues as to how competant he is.

Guest anguscanplay
If it needs to be recorded everytime how come you was asking on an earlier thread how to do it.

And ive never seen it on my checklist to record it ,has anyone on here i wonder?And dont mean to sound patronising at all,thats the way you have interpreted what i said ,he has not give any clues as to how competant he is.

:roflmao: you really should be prosecuted under the trades description act

And dont mean to sound patronising at all,thats the way you have interpreted what i said ,he has not give any clues as to how competant he is.

Think you'll find he has.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Archived