Security Installer Community

Jpeg 2000

Quovadistamwort

Can you help me at all ? I am trying to set up one of the the JPEG 2000 units overseas and although I have the manuals, CDs etc I cannot seem to get the unit to speak to the internet . I am using a ADSL line that offers a Dynamic IP service . The internet is working fine via a wireless router as per the email I am able to send you. I have connected the unit directly to the Router, but cannot get the unit to register

I have checked ( as best I can the IP addresses and sub masks etc but when I go to register it says failed ? When I match the Ip address from the computers details ( as per the manuals suggestions) it says there is a windows error and confict of Ip addresses? ........Not being an expert here Can you offer a easy set of instructions to follow to get it connected please? I am using Windows XP as my software

Kind regards

Paul

Can you help me at all ? I am trying to set up one of the the JPEG 2000 units overseas and although I have the manuals, CDs etc I cannot seem to get the unit to speak to the internet . I am using a ADSL line that offers a Dynamic IP service . The internet is working fine via a wireless router as per the email I am able to send you. I have connected the unit directly to the Router, but cannot get the unit to register

I have checked ( as best I can the IP addresses and sub masks etc but when I go to register it says failed ? When I match the Ip address from the computers details ( as per the manuals suggestions) it says there is a windows error and confict of Ip addresses? ........Not being an expert here Can you offer a easy set of instructions to follow to get it connected please? I am using Windows XP as my software

Kind regards

Paul

fun, fun, fun

I've only messed with fixed ip addresses..........on dynamic & fixed ip adsl...

As far as dynamic adsl goes it's a bit of a 'workaround", but it works............until the power is recycled on the router...

This is because the router gets another ext ip address...

1st of all do you know the external ip address that the router has for the web? :no:

If not download some shareware software to get it... :yes:

You then need to utilise the router setup webpage/software to match the internal network device to the router. :huh:

You then may/may not depending on the router have to change the device ip to the ext ip of the router.

Then hey presto......... ;)

Beware the fury of a patient man...

I think you are nearly there. If you are copying your PC's network settings and then getting a conflict is actually a good sign. Basically if you have copied the settings exactly then your DVR has the same IP address as the PC and this is a no no. Each device must have it's own IP address. The fact you get a conflict in this situation means your DVR is talking on the network but it has a duplicate IP address.

Ok heres what I would try.

First write down the IP address for your gateway, your PC and your netmask. You should already have them. Now how to get an IP address for you DVR, assuming you can't ask an IT manager? Most networks should be set up to give these out via DHCP. I guess yours isn't. So you need to get to a dos prompt and try and find an IP address that isn't used.

To open a dos prompt on XP. START - RUN - <this opens a little window, type in> cmd <hit ok>. This should open an old style dos box.

Now ping your self. Type in ping <your ip address> <hit enter>. You should get four lines saying reply from.....

Now ping other addresses until you don't get a reply. Note you should only change the last three figures in the ip address eg ping 192.168.0.001 - 255.

Once you get an address that isn't used pop it into your DVR. To test the DVR is on the network you can try pinging the address you put in. You should now get a reply from that address. Unplug the DVR and you won't get a reply. If that works your DVR is on the network.

One word of warning. IP addresses should be registered to prevent conflicts. If you pick one at random there is a chance you will pick one that is set on a PC that is turned off, in which case you will have a conflict when the PC turns on. If the network is small you'll probably get away with it.

If the above works and you still have problems let me know. You may need the addresses of DNS servers. You can find these settings from the dos prompt with ipconfig/all

Hope this helps.

Mr G.

Archived