Security Installer Community

Problem With K9-85 Detectors

welshnomad

Hi All

I live in Cyprus and am evaluating a Powermax+. I am getting poor detection from all 7 PIRs.

I have just spent two frustrating days and have still not resolved the problem.

Yesterday I installed the 7 PIRs in rooms throughout my house and attempted to plot detection patterns against room temperature. Eventually, because the results were so inconsistent I gave up.

Today I decided to install all the PIRs side by side at the same height in one room and check the detection at various ambient room temperatures. The Control Panel was in the same room. This post would be too long if I were to include full tabulated results so I will attempt to precis the results.

Initial Conditions

All PIRs mounted at 1.5m high all on the same wall facing away from sources of light. Yes, I know this is on the low side but I wanted to ensure that I was definitely in the beam.

Jumpers set to 1 event (fast response) and LED Enabled (for walk test).

All walk tests performed at 90 degrees to sensors at 4.3m distance.

First Test: Room Temp: 32.1 Humidity: 53%

Selected Walk Test (1111) and walked past the sensors. None triggered. Covered each with my hand, still none triggered. Surely they should 'wake up' as soon as Walk Test is selected?

I waited 3 mins and again walk tested when 1 sensor triggered, walked back across the room a different sensor triggered, walked the room again 2 other sensors triggered, walked the room again the final 3 sensors triggered. Subsequent walking throughout the room failed to trigger the sensors, just as if they had timed out after the first trigger. The spec states that the timer is disabled in the Walk test mode. Appears to me that it isn't. Comments please. I even placed my hand over each sensor and none triggered.

I left the system in Walk Test mode and exited the room. I waited a further 3 mins and performed a further walk test with Room Temp: 32.2 and Humidity: 55%.

On entering just 2 of the 7 PIRs triggered, walked the room again 1 of the other sensors triggered. Walked the room again a 4th sensor triggered. Subsequent walking through the room produced no further triggering and again placing my hand over the sensors failed to trigger them.

First Conclusion: PIR timer appears not to be disabled in the Walk Test Mode. A reasonable conclusion?

I next took the panel out of Walk Test Mode and switched on the room aircon to reduce the temperature.

I allowed the room to cool to 29.6 and 39% humidity.

I entered Walk Test Mode (1111), immediately walked past the PIRs, none triggered. I exited the room and returned 5 mins later and on entry all PIRs triggered. Walked the room again no further triggers, as if in Sleep Mode. Again, placing my hand over the sensors failed to trigger them.

I performed further tests at 29.9deg and 40% humidity, 30.6deg and 43% humidity, and 31.7 and 48% humidity. In each case all sensors triggered, but only once.

Conclusions:

The sensors need to be left for 2 or 3 mins after entering Walk Test Mode. Nothing about this in the Installers Manual nor the PIR Spec Sheet. Is this correct?

The timer appears not to be disabled in the Walk Test Mode, which makes performing a Walk Test to monitor the detection pattern impossible.

I believe I also have an issue when the ambient room temperature is around 32 degrees. I have not yet achieved conclusive proof but until I am able to perform a succesful Walk Test I will not know.

Perhaps the single triggering is also temperature related.

I would also mention that I have left the LED enabled on all PIRs and triggering is very intermittent.

I apologise for such a lengthy post but I have tried to keep it pertinent.

I welcome any and all comments. I am at my wits end.

Thanks

Ken

• 1 month later...
posted in error - please delete

Considering i fit up to 8 panels a week (powermax +) and have had similar problem when initially installing this panel ,why would you request my thread to be deleted,And before you say i might have given some secret info out ,ANY person off the street can buy this panel to access this info.

What made me come to my conclusion was when the guy said he set the system,come into room and every passive picked him up.

And as for the thermostat setting and unsetting ,he was just making things more complicated than things need to be,most if not all pirs come with built in temperature compensators,less they would false alarm everytime.

And every member of the public can access that info by purchasing equipement.

Guest anguscanplay
Considering i fit up to 8 panels a week (powermax +) and have had similar problem when initially installing this panel ,why would you request my thread to be deleted,And before you say i might have given some secret info out ,ANY person off the street can buy this panel to access this info.

What made me come to my conclusion was when the guy said he set the system,come into room and every passive picked him up.

And as for the thermostat setting and unsetting ,he was just making things more complicated than things need to be,most if not all pirs come with built in temperature compensators,less they would false alarm everytime.

And every member of the public can access that info by purchasing equipement.

ha ha ha you really are that paranoid ? - I posted in error and asked a mod to delete my post pmsl - you thought I was talking about you rofl sad , and then your fitting DIY kit too priceless ( 8 a week lol my //.B.W.F.// )

look where the O/P is based - not the usual temperatures encountered in this country, and its becoming more comman in summer months to see PIR`s that just wont trigger

sorry sides still splitting

Angus

ha ha ha you really are that paranoid ? - I posted in error and asked a mod to delete my post pmsl - you thought I was talking about you rofl sad , and then your fitting DIY kit too priceless ( 8 a week lol my //.B.W.F.// )

look where the O/P is based - not the usual temperatures encountered in this country, and its becoming more comman in summer months to see PIR`s that just wont trigger

sorry sides still splitting

Angus

Why are you saying eight a week ,i can and do fit 6 in a day and yes thats in a day.

Average house has 5 pirs and 3 dc and its an excellent panel and i cant see the average diyer being able to program and fit this panel to its full potential.

Cheap pirs might not trigger effectively but the temp tolerance on those pirs can well cope with that type of temperature.

I have used scantronic cordless panels and these are just as good if not better,remember you cant be right all the time daddies boy.

My cars faster than yours and I fit alarms faster than you. :P So there!

Well, maybe not................. :ninja:

I do enjoy watching children squabbling - who's dad is bigger than whose, can beat him hollow etc., and are you going to "send him round to sort you out"?

Have a look here and think about what it says: http://www.bullyonline.org/

And finally, what has any of that got to do with K9-85 detectors? :cry:

My cars faster than yours and I fit alarms faster than you. :P So there!

Well, maybe not................. :ninja:

I do enjoy watching children squabbling - who's dad is bigger than whose, can beat him hollow etc., and are you going to "send him round to sort you out"?

Have a look here and think about what it says: http://www.bullyonline.org/

And finally, what has any of that got to do with K9-85 detectors? :cry:

Wrong in both counts Andy,about the cars and alarms lol :P

Check your posts - it was you who said it. Now it's 6 a day.

Are we to be impressed?? :no:

Im not trying to impress you just stating a fact ,i generally fit between 6 to 8 a week ,but it has been known that i can and have fitted 6 in a day.They are cordless you know its not an impossible task.

Barooga add me to your contacts list so you can abuse me in private rather than a public forum.

Archived