Security Installer Community

Hello From A Very Warm Cyprus

welshnomad

Hi All

My name is Ken. I spent 17 years in the British Army as a Radar Engineer (Apprentice trained). I then spent 2 years in the Middle East installing and commissioning radar systems. On my return to UK I spent 2 years with BT as a T2 before joining a UK company with whom I spent 10 years in the Middle East employed on high value turnkey security systems, one of which was to UK MOD standards. I was employed installing, commissioning and eventually consultancy. Experienced was gained (sounds like a CV eh?) in perimeter detection using various methods e.g. Microwave, IR, VMD, CCTV etc. Until recently I was employed installing and commissioning live fire and computer controlled small arms ranges for police, military, and special forces at various locations throughout the Far East.

The UK company I worked for went into receivership at which time I decided to move to Cyprus.

That's my biodata!! I wonder if now might be an opportune time to post a question. I'll give it a shot, if I don't get a response I'll post it elsewhere.

Although Cyprus is advertised as a low crime area, crime is certainly on the increase especially since Cyprus joined the EU. I am therefore planning to install my own alarm system. As mentioned earlier I have experience in large security installations, the largest having a perimeter of 28Km, 200+ dual-sensor perimeter zones, 200+ cameras, 3 (zoned) control rooms and 1 master control room. Anyway, I digress. I have no experience of domestic installs and this is my problem.

The walls and floors/ceilings of my house are steel reinforced concrete. Floors are ceramic tiles. Skirtings are a continuation of the ceramic tiling. How would you professionals install the system bearing in mind you always state that you hide the cabling. I really don't fancy trunking all over the place and there's the additional difficulty of getting from downstairs. My choice for a clean install would be wireless but I worry about the attenuation due to the steel reinforcement. Repeaters?

What do those of you who install wireless systems use to test signal strength.

I think that is more than enough for a first post.

Regards

Ken

Hi All

My name is Ken. I spent 17 years in the British Army as a Radar Engineer (Apprentice trained). I then spent 2 years in the Middle East installing and commissioning radar systems. On my return to UK I spent 2 years with BT as a T2 before joining a UK company with whom I spent 10 years in the Middle East employed on high value turnkey security systems, one of which was to UK MOD standards. I was employed installing, commissioning and eventually consultancy. Experienced was gained (sounds like a CV eh?) in perimeter detection using various methods e.g. Microwave, IR, VMD, CCTV etc. Until recently I was employed installing and commissioning live fire and computer controlled small arms ranges for police, military, and special forces at various locations throughout the Far East.

The UK company I worked for went into receivership at which time I decided to move to Cyprus.

That's my biodata!! I wonder if now might be an opportune time to post a question. I'll give it a shot, if I don't get a response I'll post it elsewhere.

Although Cyprus is advertised as a low crime area, crime is certainly on the increase especially since Cyprus joined the EU. I am therefore planning to install my own alarm system. As mentioned earlier I have experience in large security installations, the largest having a perimeter of 28Km, 200+ dual-sensor perimeter zones, 200+ cameras, 3 (zoned) control rooms and 1 master control room. Anyway, I digress. I have no experience of domestic installs and this is my problem.

The walls and floors/ceilings of my house are steel reinforced concrete. Floors are ceramic tiles. Skirtings are a continuation of the ceramic tiling. How would you professionals install the system bearing in mind you always state that you hide the cabling. I really don't fancy trunking all over the place and there's the additional difficulty of getting from downstairs. My choice for a clean install would be wireless but I worry about the attenuation due to the steel reinforcement. Repeaters?

What do those of you who install wireless systems use to test signal strength.

I think that is more than enough for a first post.

Regards

Ken

hi ken,

thats some CV, but when you say you will take a shot at it :cold2: lol.

hiding cables so they are not noticed is a bit of a skill where floorboards and lifting carpet are not available, clever running them in with the lines of the building say a corner and covering with filler is one way.

wireless kit has come on strong regarding reliability and range in the last few years, you can get a field test unit which for pro installers is fine as we would get to use it often, but tbh being a one off and in far off Cyprus and all, i'd just buy a decent panel and a few wireless pir's place them at the furthest point's, and see what happens over a few weeks, if alls well get some more pir's.

i use the Gardtec range of kit, so say a G490 or G591 panel with a wireless interface attached won't break the bank and is fairly straight forward to fit, if you have problems i'm available last week of august 1st week september ;) but bet others will be along very soon promoting texacom and scantronic

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi ken,

thats some CV, but when you say you will take a shot at it :cold2: lol.

hiding cables so they are not noticed is a bit of a skill where floorboards and lifting carpet are not available, clever running them in with the lines of the building say a corner and covering with filler is one way.

wireless kit has come on strong regarding reliability and range in the last few years, you can get a field test unit which for pro installers is fine as we would get to use it often, but tbh being a one off and in far off Cyprus and all, i'd just buy a decent panel and a few wireless pir's place them at the furthest point's, and see what happens over a few weeks, if alls well get some more pir's.

i use the Gardtec range of kit, so say a G490 or G591 panel with a wireless interface attached won't break the bank and is fairly straight forward to fit, if you have problems i'm available last week of august 1st week september ;) but bet others will be along very soon promoting texacom and scantronic

regs

alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for your very prompt reply. It has given me a few things to consider.

One further question. Do you or others have any views one way or another on the Powermax+ range of equipment?

cheers

Ken

Hi Alan

Thanks for your very prompt reply. It has given me a few things to consider.

One further question. Do you or others have any views one way or another on the Powermax+ range of equipment?

cheers

Ken

hi ken,

not used it myself as i concentrate on one brand to save carrying too many spares, but i think it gets fairly favourable reports from the guys, use the search button to find post's but many relevant posts maybe in the trade only area.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived