Security Installer Community

Apprenticeship

Hello,

I am James and am 17 have good GCSE results and live in Essex, Chelmsford area, I have completed a JTL Initial Assessment and passed, and I am currently looking for any companies that are willing to take on an apprentice in the electrical/security industry. I know JTL circulate your details to potential employers, and this is how my friend managed to gain an oppotunity but I have not heard a word back from them yet and its been a while, so might get in touch with them if no other oppotunitys come up soon. I have been told it is best to apply to local companies to seek employment, which I have done, circulated a covering letter and CV. I was just wondering if anyone knows what companies are currently taking on apprentices?I have already applied to BT and looked at //.Large National Installer.//'s website a while ago but there is no longer any links for people looking for apprenticeships, so I am guessing they are not taking on any this year? I also understand that Chubb do not seem to be taking on apprentices of such aswell because there is no longer a link on their website and I emailed them earlier in the year and they said to email back a few months later which I did, but no reply. Also I would be grateful if I could have some advice on what more to include and better a introductory/covering letter to a local employer?I have included; my qualifications, that I am very keen and interested to enter the security inductry, and would like to get into that line of work, ask if they have an oppotunity for me, and that you should include a bit of research?But am not sure what entirely to include and what kind of research is good to put in, as it seems no one really responds, and the ones that do are either not taking on apprentices and are not sure if they are going to yet. I guess it just requires more perseverance and persistance, I had one or two people reply on here before asking me to email them my CV, and then they ask if I drive, but I only have a provisional, but I would be prepared to travel, and then hear nothin from them again even when following up their questions and emailing them again?I guess this is just going to take more perseverance and persistance.

Would be grateful for any help or feedback,

Many thanks,

James.

Hi James

It sounds like you have already done what I would suggest you do, the only other thing I would suggest is that you offer to work for free for a week. (Its a bit like putting your money where your mouth is) The potential employer has nothing to lose by taking you on for a week though he should at least telephone screen you. You then have a foot in the door to prove that you are keen hard working and not afraid to get your hands dirty.

Yes it will cost you a week, but if you're not taken on you will have a weeks experience to add to your cv, id be suprised if a young keen lad like you is not snapped up soon though.

Pete

Get an electrical qualifiaction under your belt(make sure you serve your time) and then decide after if you wana move in to security. It will be harder doing it the other way round later on in life.

Also dont email or send letters, Phone and keep on phoning till you get an answer. Its not pestering,it shows your keen and want to work. Dont expect to be paid meggar bucks for the first few years either. Youll probably see your mates earning more money in the factory jobs for the first couple of years and times will be tough, but you gota remember that once your quailified the tables turn. ;)

Good luck

Chris

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Ok, thanks for the replys, I will take that information into consideration! Also I do have a place on an ICT Diploma course starting in August as a backup, but I may change it to a electrical course just to get the qualification.

Any more help or info would be greatley appreciated,

Thanks,

James.

Archived