Security Installer Community

Veritas 8 System Long Power Down

Hi all. I have just moved in to a new house and the electrics are terrible so I am having to have the power cut to the building for a few days for a re-wire. In this time I expect the battery to die and soon after the bell to start going I am betting this will happen in the middle of the night. Is there a way I can disable the hole system during this period without having to remove the battery from the bell box? (Its a little difficult to get to.) or just stop the bell from going off on a power failure.

cheers OKButton

as sparky has said, get a temp supply or you can get an engineer to disable your system.

obviously we can't advise how this is done in open forum to a 'stranger'.

you could use a decent sized fully charged car battery to hold it for a few days, but please ensure your engineer fit's an inline fuse of no more than 2 amps at the battery to prevent any fires from accidental shorts.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

a temp supply sounds the best idea as then you will still some security on the property at night when you are not there (if empty) or you go out to pub etc.

cheers

so a car battery at 80 ah + will do what?

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
so a car battery at 80 ah + will do what?

regs

alan

get disconneted by the thieves ?

battery is with controls, so the controls will be within the protected area, so battery is within the protected area, diss the battery and the sab wil operate.

(do i have top tell you everything 'son' ?)

lol

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
battery is with controls, so the controls will be within the protected area, so battery is within the protected area, diss the battery and the sab wil operate.

(do i have top tell you everything 'son' ?)

lol

regs

alan

ah but does the o/p know the sab will work - he only expects it to - if the wiring is that bad theres a chance the alarm is too and some panels wont set without ac present

temp mains keeps the system to standard

Thanks for the options I am going to have a long period without power as the mains comin in from the suppler is also verry dodgie and is also going to be repaired so I will not have any power for a good few days while I do the work I opted to remove all the sources of power from the system ie I have removed all batteries from there relivent boxes (I am not shy of a bit of electrical work) I reckon there might be some problems with the install itself as I have found under the boards thin alarm signal like cable that seems to be running toward the control box that has been cut or shorted in the past.

Thanks again for the input though.

Thanks for the options I am going to have a long period without power as the mains comin in from the suppler is also verry dodgie and is also going to be repaired so I will not have any power for a good few days while I do the work I opted to remove all the sources of power from the system ie I have removed all batteries from there relivent boxes (I am not shy of a bit of electrical work) I reckon there might be some problems with the install itself as I have found under the boards thin alarm signal like cable that seems to be running toward the control box that has been cut or shorted in the past.

Thanks again for the input though.

Hi OKButon,

i hope enjoyed the banter between us engineers,

i do recommend you get a good engineer in before the boards go back dowm/making good stages to check/renew the cables and make any repairs. if the alarm has been repaired it might have been by the original owner and not an engineer so could be isue's which are easier addressed with simpler access.

if the siren did not sound when you down powered the alarm then this should also be addressed.

regs

alan

ah but does the o/p know the sab will work - he only expects it to - if the wiring is that bad theres a chance the alarm is too and some panels wont set without ac present

temp mains keeps the system to standard

up to this point the advise was given as it was only the mains wiring which is iffy not the alarm wiring, requiring the power to the building to be dissed. there was a good chance the siren is working properly as sab (but now we know it's not) so thats why a large car battery would hold the system for a few days if not over a week.

i would not diss the alarms original battery and did not advise to do so, again we have to assume this is ok but likely to also be faulty due to time passed, if this battery ws ok it would operate the sytem in alarm and disconnecting the car battery wopuld not kill the system.

'ipso fatso' i wrest MY case sparky ;)

in the minors strike which coincided with days of severe smog in London, we were running around all over connecting car batts (supplied by clients) every where to keep alarms functioning, we used 'croc clips' so the clients could change them over for recharging, but stopped that after a few reversals happened causing a bit of smoking :rolleyes: .

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
in the minors strike which coincided with days of severe smog in London, we were running around all over connecting car batts (supplied by clients) every where to keep alarms functioning, we used 'croc clips' so the clients could change them over for recharging, but stopped that after a few reversals happened causing a bit of smoking :rolleyes: .

regs

alan

think you just proved a the point there arfur - builing site and car batteries - every body stubbing there toes on it and the chippy sat on it for his dinner - i can see it know

only one way to do things

Archived