Security Installer Community

Optima G3 Battery Problem?

Hi, hope this is the right place to post this question!

I've moved into a house with a Optima G3 system, it's about 4 years old. Every time we have a power cut the alarm goes off. I'm guessing this is not supposed to happen! Does this suggest the backup battery needs replacing? If so, is this easy to do or should I get an engineer out? (Any general advice on time/costs would be great)

Also, possibly related, my smoke alarms, connected to the security alarm, beep about once a day. Is this normal, some sort of test? It's not a huge problem, but it sometimes makes you jump!

Thanks in anticiption of your help!

Paul

The battery in the panel does need replacing. But with the system not being serviced, or the battery changed, it may have damaged the charging circuit in the panel.

The smoke detectors bleeping? It may be a sign that the supply voltage to them is too low, again this suggests the duff battery in the panel is pulling down the supply voltage on the system.

To be on the safe side, you should get an engineer out to check the panel over and change battery, and do a complete system check.

You could try changing the battery yourself, but be aware that mains voltage is inside the panel, and if you remove the mains as you should do before you open the panel up, the panel may crash if not battery backed up (as in this case).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, if your fire detection is linked to the alarm as well, I wouldn't take chances if I were you, see if anybody on here is local to you, they may be able to help out - HERE

Archived