Security Installer Community

Infra Red Led ?

kevmac

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the cameras on the spec. sheet are all fitted with pinhole lenses, which would make them significantly less sensitive than if they had been fitted with a conventional board lens.

Also, the LED in a remote control would be pulsed, which allows a much higher light output (and lower operating temperature), than if it were driven from a DC source.

There are certainly many companies currently supplying equivalent miniature cameras, but you'll need to shop around.

If I can find any useful info on the LED's kevmac, I'll let you know.

LEDs can 'pulse' at a lot higher power than they can remain on for. The LEDs that you specified above from RSComponents are 50ma which is slightly higher power than standard LEDs at 20ma. Remote control LEDs can pulse at 100ma but cannot remain on at that power for more than a couple of seconds before they burn out.

I built my own IR Illuminator using 850nm 50ma LEDs using 50 of them. This was more than sufficient to light an area over 30metres away and beyond. Using 940nm LEDs you would need nearly 100 of them to produce the same level of illumination. If you used 100ma LEDs you will get a brighter output but it would consume more power especially if you were using multiple LEDs.

www.rapidonline.co.uk have a fair range of IR LEDs.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the cameras on the spec. sheet are all fitted with pinhole lenses, which would make them significantly less sensitive than if they had been fitted with a conventional board lens.

Also, the LED in a remote control would be pulsed, which allows a much higher light output (and lower operating temperature), than if it were driven from a DC source.

There are certainly many companies currently supplying equivalent miniature cameras, but you'll need to shop around.

If I can find any useful info on the LED's kevmac, I'll let you know.

Yes it is a conical pinhole camera. It is much smaller than the usual board cameras. its the only one that i can cram into the space i have. I would have prefered to use a lensed camera because i proberbly wouldn`t need the ir light which is causing me a right headache !! Its also the reason that i am trying to get away with 1 led. But i might be able to get away with 2 and at a push 3. I only have to illuminate a distance of 1 metre.

Its all good help and advice. I am learning !! :rolleyes:

A guy on ebay who manufacturers LED lights is sending me some free IR LEDs and resistors which he says out perform most types. heres a link to his ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tims-Miscellania. A very helpful chap :yes:

Please keep the advice comming.

Archived