Security Installer Community

Optima XM 6 Extra Keypad

Guest johnahealey

Guest johnahealey

Hi,

I'm new to this game, so appologies if this seems a bit simple..........;)

I'm thinkimg about adding an existing keypad to my current Optima XM6 alarm. Currently

the alarm console is close to the back door of our new house which in turn means I have to enter

the house through the back door to get access to the console, and enter the code to disable the

alarm.

If possible I'd like an extra keypad next to the front door so I can enter the house through the

front door and punch in my security code to disable the alarm.

Alternatively re-programming the console so that I can enter through the front door, find my way

to the keypad (without setting off the alarm) would be ideal, and save me money!!!!

So, has anybody got any pointers or hints or been down this rocky road before and can

highlight any pitfalls which I should avoid.

Thanks in advance,

John

Hi ,

The XM6 cannot take a remote keypad.Also , the zones are fixed and not programmable.You will either have to get it replaced , get an engineer in to rewire it , or rewire it yourself.It may be as easy as swopping the wiring for your front and back doors.Do a walk test and make a list of all your zones / detectors, then it will be easier to work out.

:)

Guest johnahealey

Fastcar - thanks for the reply.

From looking around on this site it seems the Optima XM6 can only have one entry point so

presumably I can never get this to work. If entering through my front door I'd have to go

through 2 zones, the front door and the living room / lounge to get to my console in the kitchen.

One of these zones will set off the alarm - correct....?

I don't suppose anyone out there has a detailed user manual for the optima XM6, I downloaded

one which I found but that didn't give details of any wiring instructions etc....?

Thanks again,

John

Guest johnahealey

OK thanks again. Right I think I get it. From what you say I could have my front door

set up as my entry/exit, my lounge PIR set up as intermeadiate access therefore giving me

access to my kitchen and the console, when I enter through the front door. :)

However to do this I need to do some rewiring on the console becasue the Optima

is not programmable. Doesn't sound too difficult. What do you reckon....?

Depends on your ability , just remember that 240v is present (and can kill) inside alarm panel.So , remove mains fuse , and hope that your battery is up to it!.When you open the panel , the internal alarm will sound , so be ready with your user code.Make a drawing of wire colours / zones etc.

Guest Deryck Tintagel

Handy hint ..

With the panel in the unset mode, enter "PROG" followed by Engineer Code - 4 digit number - before removing the front panel. This puts the panel in engineer mode and allows you to open the panel (or any other device with tamper detection) without setting off the panel.

IIRC Zone 3 changes mode in part set - timed I think rather than instant.

Just one query - is there a PIR in the kitchen or is it a door contact?

Guest johnahealey

Thanks for the hint.

Theres just a door contact in the kitchen.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the following - sorry I'm new to this:

"IIRC Zone 3 changes mode in part set - timed I think rather than instant."

Also, I've had a look around on the web and some sites give the impression that

the Optima Xm6 is programmable (well slightly). Some sites mention that it has

three programs which the user can edit with respect to exit/entry zones etc. Sounds

ideal. Any thoughts.....?

Hi , zone 2 becomes timed when a zone is omitted , eg. at night when upstairs is turned off , the hall pir becomes timed , allowing access to the panel.

On the XM6 zone 3 can be programmed as intermeadiate (option 5 ) eg. at night when a zone is omitted and the panel is in the kitchen , you enter zone 2 (timer starts) and zone 3 (kitchen pir)gives you access to the panel .

The other panels you mention are later programmable models (G3 , accenta etc.)

Archived