Security Installer Community

Outdoor Alarm System?

silicon skum

Need a little advice on security for an extrenal garden shed and storage area (closed off area under a patio with two wooden garage type doors). Seems some time last night someone jemmied the locks on the shed and storage area, hoping to find some expensive garden tools / equiptment, but was dissapointed with the result of a 20 year old rusty 'bucket-of-bolts' ride-on lawnmower and a rusty BBQ I keep in there. <_< Actually I wouldn't have minded if they had nicked the lawnmower, it weighs a ton and burns enough oil to convince you it really is a diesel engine, even though you know it's petrol. Would have saved me the effort to get rid of it myself. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I need some kind of external alarm, nothing too loud (just enough to scare them off when appoaching / opening shed or storage doors) preferably with it's own or low voltage power supply (batteries, wired 12 / 24v etc) as no power is available in those areas, but can run low voltage if needed. I don't want a full blown SAB or anything that is likely to cause disturbance to the other residents nearby (about 60 - 100ft either side of the garden), as the alarm may be sounding for most of the night until someone notices it the next morning (or someone calls me).

There is a very large garden attached at the rear and surrounded by thick mature trees, a single 500w PIR halogen on one building covering the shed and patio / storage area (trees give some protection from this though) and a single 400W SON lamp (dusk 'til dawn) on another building in the same garden, covering the rest of the grounds. The shed and storage area are seperated by about 25ft and face directly oposite each other.

Sadly I cannot put up a secure fence around the existing boundary walls (would be well over 6ft and council wont give permission due to listed building status and protected trees following the course of the wall). So I need something to scare off the theiving gits, instead. :angry:

Oh, and this is for another set of properties I own and manage, I don't live there, so need something simple and "fool proof" for the tennants of the 2 properties concerned. Battery power would not be a problem as I am there at least twice a month, so can deal with that.

Any suggestions?

SS

Need a little advice on security for an extrenal garden shed and storage area (closed off area under a patio with two wooden garage type doors). Seems some time last night someone jemmied the locks on the shed and storage area, hoping to find some expensive garden tools / equiptment, but was dissapointed with the result of a 20 year old rusty 'bucket-of-bolts' ride-on lawnmower and a rusty BBQ I keep in there. <_< Actually I wouldn't have minded if they had nicked the lawnmower, it weighs a ton and burns enough oil to convince you it really is a diesel engine, even though you know it's petrol. Would have saved me the effort to get rid of it myself. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I need some kind of external alarm, nothing too loud (just enough to scare them off when appoaching / opening shed or storage doors) preferably with it's own or low voltage power supply (batteries, wired 12 / 24v etc) as no power is available in those areas, but can run low voltage if needed. I don't want a full blown SAB or anything that is likely to cause disturbance to the other residents nearby (about 60 - 100ft either side of the garden), as the alarm may be sounding for most of the night until someone notices it the next morning (or someone calls me).

There is a very large garden attached at the rear and surrounded by thick mature trees, a single 500w PIR halogen on one building covering the shed and patio / storage area (trees give some protection from this though) and a single 400W SON lamp (dusk 'til dawn) on another building in the same garden, covering the rest of the grounds. The shed and storage area are seperated by about 25ft and face directly oposite each other.

Sadly I cannot put up a secure fence around the existing boundary walls (would be well over 6ft and council wont give permission due to listed building status and protected trees following the course of the wall). So I need something to scare off the theiving gits, instead. :angry:

Oh, and this is for another set of properties I own and manage, I don't live there, so need something simple and "fool proof" for the tennants of the 2 properties concerned. Battery power would not be a problem as I am there at least twice a month, so can deal with that.

Any suggestions?

SS

For something totally on battery power look in a local boat builders or chandlers a few boat alarms could be used for this purpose.

cheers

For something totally on battery power look in a local boat builders or chandlers a few boat alarms could be used for this purpose.

cheers

Hmmm, now there's a thought! Ta for that! :)

I can also run a low voltage perminant feed if needed, mains is out of the question due to the location and condition of the 40yr old shed.

That's given me a couple of ideas of where to start.

Thanx again

SS

Archived