Security Installer Community

Samsung Shr Dvr's

Hi Richard, I looked at the SHR-2162 extensivly and although it initially looked great, further digging brought up several failings (in my opinion).

The first machine I looked at suffered a faulty NIC, something that hardly ever fails. It came to light that due to a backlog of faulty equipment, a replacent wouldn't be available for 2 months.

Samsung Electronics have no direct customer support for the UK. They're totally reliant on third parties to support their product.

When fed video streams containing fast motion, the machine pixilated frequently. It could also be easily forced into pixilation using the still-frame advance.

It's not BS8418 compliant

There's no watermarking

Time and date is unreliable, the system I looked at gained a second every hour.

Alarm recording seems to riddled with bugs

The 2162 used a quad architecture codec. What does this mean?.... Well it means that sequential groups of four camera are digitally encoded before they're sent to the hard drive. You could never have a quad display showing cameras 1, 2, 3 and say 7. It also means that the record overheads are higher and therefore less efficient.

You only get 100pps at CIF resolution. At 2CIF you get 50pps global.

You can only stream video accross the network at the record rate of the channel. There's no live streaming.

Hi Richard, I looked at the SHR-2162 extensivly and although it initially looked great, further digging brought up several failings (in my opinion).

The first machine I looked at suffered a faulty NIC, something that hardly ever fails. It came to light that due to a backlog of faulty equipment, a replacent wouldn't be available for 2 months.

Samsung Electronics have no direct customer support for the UK. They're totally reliant on third parties to support their product.

When fed video streams containing fast motion, the machine pixilated frequently. It could also be easily forced into pixilation using the still-frame advance.

It's not BS8418 compliant

There's no watermarking

Time and date is unreliable, the system I looked at gained a second every hour.

Alarm recording seems to riddled with bugs

The 2162 used a quad architecture codec. What does this mean?.... Well it means that sequential groups of four camera are digitally encoded before they're sent to the hard drive. You could never have a quad display showing cameras 1, 2, 3 and say 7. It also means that the record overheads are higher and therefore less efficient.

You only get 100pps at CIF resolution. At 2CIF you get 50pps global.

You can only stream video accross the network at the record rate of the channel. There's no live streaming.

Matt,

I had a feeling there was something not right!

Thanks for your feed back.

Out of intrest, what are you currently fitting or reccomending on the networked DVR front?

Rich

Richard Smith

X-act Security Ltd

www.xact-security.com

Hi Rich, sorry it's taken so long to reply....

As far as reccomendations are concerned, I wouldn't like to make any to be honest. I work for a manufacturer and don't want to be biased toward any particular equipment in a public forum (not good for one's credibility, and I do try to be unbiased).

I would however reccomend you think specifically about the application.

e.g. Domestic, ADSL, Low res static cameras = Cheap and cheerful far eastern inport

Retail, ADSL, FF cameras and static = UK Brand or Distributers own brand

Commercial and Industrial = UK manufacturer (with good customer support record), high feature set, don't go for cost fit the product to the spec.

If they don't have an office with its own tech support team in the UK, don't go near.

Hope this helps matey

Archived