Security Installer Community

Alarm Panel With A 12v Output ?

Thanks for all the quick replies.

I should have given a bit more detail but I was trying to keep the post as short as poss.

Brother in law is a qualified fitter, He lives in Brum and comes to stay every 2-3 weeks so he can see his kids. I know i could have asked his advice, but he works every hour he can due to the vultures fron the CSA. Therefore I was trying to find out if I can do what I wanted before I get him to plan the actual alarm. He says he is more than happy to do this due to getting free bed and board for the last 16 months when he comes to stay (and a few beers were mentioned).

The relay will be between the boiler and the thermostat, to break the circuit when the alarm is set. I will then use a second relay with a timer to provide the circuit when the alarm is set. This will also solve any problems regarding the weather going below freezing as I can just adjust the timer to suit the time of year. The output from the boiler to the room thermostat is 12v (rated 1amp fuse) so I am not switching any dangerous voltages. The boiler will be newly installed and I will be using a themostat on each radiator. The Room thermostat should be left open, but I will use this output for the relay.

Freezing pipes shouldn't be a problem as the house will not be left for more thn 16 hrs at a time, but I have thought about what you said and I will place a switch in line so I can overide the whole thing easily.

Does anyone know of a way to switch the relay using the 40ma so I can try it on my current alarm.

I do have the contact details of my B.I.L. former colleague who lives 3 streets away should I have any problems.

Once again thanks, Keith

you need a transitorised relay mate

Thats the name of it, I couldnt remember for love nor money.

Would you have any idea where you can get them ? A quick google search has brought up 100's of pages but little in the way of shops. the usual ones like Maplins do not see to do them.

cheers, Keith

Thats the name of it, I couldnt remember for love nor money.

Would you have any idea where you can get them ? A quick google search has brought up 100's of pages but little in the way of shops. the usual ones like Maplins do not see to do them.

cheers, Keith

ACT Meters do them at

Trade Member

• 2 weeks later...

Archived