Security Installer Community

16ch Smart2 Series Dvr

DarrenRainer

Hi, I am looking at getting a SMART2 series 8 or 16ch DVR which has network access. There is a good review on this website but what I need to know is can I access the DVR remotely using a single IP port ? My Company firewall only has port 80 and 22 and 443SSL which I can use. Can I monitor live video and also replay recorded video over an IP link using one of the ports ? Also can the DVR be accessed remotely just using Internet Explorer or does it require software to be installed on a PC to view it remotely. I would be interested if anyone has used one of these DVRs and what they think. I currentlt use an Stardot technologies Express 6 IP server with the its DVR software but the frame rate is 1 frame per second and remote replay is not possible.

Regards

Darren

You can use any port you like for remote view. Some firewalls will only allow certain traffic through on pre-reserved ports so you may need to use a non standard port.

AFAIAA you can access the DVR via a browser but I don't use IE and System Q seem to only ever refer to IE. I have used other JPEG2000 machines that don't seem to work from other browsers so can't really comment other than it isn't really as useful feature if it doesn't work on any browser.

Not sure what this server\DVR thing is you have now but some sort of remote desktop access could allow it to remotely replay footage in some sort of fashion. Sounds like a new DVR would be better though.

You can use any port you like for remote view. Some firewalls will only allow certain traffic through on pre-reserved ports so you may need to use a non standard port.

AFAIAA you can access the DVR via a browser but I don't use IE and System Q seem to only ever refer to IE. I have used other JPEG2000 machines that don't seem to work from other browsers so can't really comment other than it isn't really as useful feature if it doesn't work on any browser.

Not sure what this server\DVR thing is you have now but some sort of remote desktop access could allow it to remotely replay footage in some sort of fashion. Sounds like a new DVR would be better though.

Hi Lurch, thanks for the info. The main problem is the limitation of ports I can use. I know some network cameras require the use of more than one port eg. a port for video, audio and control. This would be a problem with my Company firewall, so what I want to make sure is that for instance if I have to use software on the remote pc to be able to replay recorded video then I need to be able to do it all through a single IP port such as the standard http port 80. What I dont want to do is spend the money on it only to find I cannot access the DVR because it requires multiple ports to be open. Is there a manual I can download for the Series 2 DVR ? Im not to worried about the browser side of things as we tend to use IE6 everywhere in the Company. At present I use port 22 for connecting to my Servers so hopefully I can do the same with a Series 2 DVR.

Regards

Darren

Hi Lurch, thanks for the info. The main problem is the limitation of ports I can use. I know some network cameras require the use of more than one port eg. a port for video, audio and control. This would be a problem with my Company firewall, so what I want to make sure is that for instance if I have to use software on the remote pc to be able to replay recorded video then I need to be able to do it all through a single IP port such as the standard http port 80. What I dont want to do is spend the money on it only to find I cannot access the DVR because it requires multiple ports to be open. Is there a manual I can download for the Series 2 DVR ? Im not to worried about the browser side of things as we tend to use IE6 everywhere in the Company. At present I use port 22 for connecting to my Servers so hopefully I can do the same with a Series 2 DVR.

Regards

Darren

Thanks Lurch

Archived