Security Installer Community

ADT alarm - Help and Guidance please

Guest Ben F

Can anyone help please?

We have moved in to a house that has an //.National Installer.// alarm fitted (Don't know the model number but was fitted new in June 2003).

We are having the house entirely rewired and want to have all the alarm wires (e.g. door contacts/PIRs etc) chased in to the walls as they are currently surface mounted.

This is bound to involve some rewiring of bits and pieces etc - the alarm company (//.National Installer.//) has said that they won't chase wires into walls and the electricians are uneasy about touching some other company's alarm in case it all goes wrong - does anyone have any suggestions e.g. is DIY simple enough on these things as I don't want to trigger all the tamper circuits etc. (And what happens if I do - can I reset it or do I need to call //.National Installer.// in). Also want to change surface contacts on doors over to flush mounted.

2. Move the BT phone point that the alarm connects into - similar point to above i.e. it will involve rewiring and everyone is reluctant to do it. The connection for the phone seems to come off the front door contact which looks odd but I have no idea how these systems are actually wired up

3. We are also building an extension and will want door contacts in there - do we run wires for that now and how do they get connected up.

Undecided as yet but we will probably go for the //.National Installer.// monitoring service once we move in.

If anyone has any guidance it would be gratefully received.

Ben

Hi Ben

I know what //.National Installer.// are likely to charge to do the chasing works and extra works and it should work out much cheaper to get a new alarm installed by a local installer that has hidden cables and covers all points that you require.

//.National Installer.// sign the house owner up to a contract that usually lasts for 3-5 years, but if you have bought the house and not signed a new contract it is not your problem.

//.National Installer.// wont even give you a price to do the works until you have signed a new contract which will usually involve a £25 per month charge over the period of the contract as well as the charge for the extra work (probably somewhere in the region of £600).

I am sure most people on this forum as well as common sense would suggest that you speak to a local installer before commiting to //.National Installer.//. If you go down this line ask for a list of customers that are happy to give a reference on the quality of the work carried out as well as the support given, this is the only way to make sure that the company is as good as it says it is.

If you tell us where you are, someone on here might be able to help you.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Also posted elsewhere on the site. :fyi:

Archived