Security Installer Community

Please advise on a new alarm installation.

Guest mart2375

Guest mart2375

Hi,

Am moving at short notice to a new house with no security system. It is a 2 bed semi, on 2 floors. I require door contacts on front and rear doors, pir's in hall, lounge, and 2 bedrooms.

Problem is that the house has all stone wall interiors so cabling inside stud walls just isn't going to happen. Also newly decorated so i don't want walls wrecking!

Any suggestions on the sort of cost involved in me getting someone to install such a system, also where would you be liable to run cables (along skirting etc)? Bearing in mind the last owner just had the entire place carpeted so I'm not sure lifting floor boards is such a great option either.

Alternatively is wireless the way to go and what cost may be involved there please?

After paying deposit etc there is hardly any cash left so i need the cheapest solution, though still a secure solution.

Many thanks Martin.

Guest prsalmon

Martin, usually if the install is done correctly you shouldnt see that many cables anyway. We all have our own ways of hiding them. You would be amazed. You could go wireless, a site signal test would need to be done first as the stone walls that you mention might cause some problems. Please do no fall into the trap of going to B&Q and the such and buying one of there cheap wirless alarms as so many people do. (If like me you like your sleep that is!)

A survey would need to done which ever route you take. Most companies dont charge for this and you are under no obligation.

Where abouts are you in the world, maybe we can be of your assistance?

regards

paul :D

simple answer, get several quotes, and leave radio alarms well alone, do not even go there. they cost more in the first place, cost more for maintenance (you are paying for some one to change batteries anually) they have trouble with dense material, hated by most engineers, only way to fix faults is change detector / battery . not good

Guest prsalmon

Sounds like the anti wireless crew are out again. Dont see why so many people are against wireless. Yeah granted when they first came out they gave problems but most of the manufacturers have got to grips with the software now, and if installed properly they are fine. Perhaps 4K7 you should stick to installing menviers. :D

Guest mart2375

Thanks for all the advice. Have had a couple of ideas thrown at me. One installer is saying teh c&k secutitek alarms and the other suggests response pa series alarms to keep overall cost down. Any views on these?

Consider the Texecom Veritas range of you want to keep price keen.

What area are you in?

Steve Kendall

Plymstock Security Systems

CCTV, Intruder Alarms, Security Lighting & Access Control

Covering Plymouth, Plymstock, Plympton, South Devon and South East Cornwall

Archived