Security Installer Community

Uvpc Windows

binthere

We have all been told by upvc window/door installers 'if the alarm engineer drill's the windows for surface contacts the warranty is void they must use the stick on type'

What is the general opinion of that comment and who manufactures the most reliable and durable contacts?

We seem to be doing more and more of these requests

Do you charge for two visit's, one to remove old contacts and then return to replace, what 's a fair price!

General opinion's please.

I try to avoid putting contacts on uPVC windows but get regular requests on doors and I have never had a problem with local uPVC installers over this, even had regular requests from them to do it for their customers - I charge a callout to remove and a callout to replace.

I am happy on non-monitored systems for the door fitters to remove the old contact and that reduces the cost for the client.

I use the disconnect visit to also instruct the customer as to what the door fitter should do to ensure a clean and undamaged circuit ie what he needs to do with the cable that I have "disconnected".

and then the second visit for re-doing it cos the door fitter was a gorilla with a hammer and got it wrong... :whistle:

Generally nicely tucked behind the uPVC section and emerging at a convenient point for the contact, much better than trying to tidy it afterwards.

We have all been told by upvc window/door installers 'if the alarm engineer drill's the windows for surface contacts the warranty is void they must use the stick on type'

What is the general opinion of that comment and who manufactures the most reliable and durable contacts?

We seem to be doing more and more of these requests

Do you charge for two visit's, one to remove old contacts and then return to replace, what 's a fair price!

General opinion's please.

The fact that the warranty is void is very common these days..all the big companies have it written in the contract(IN VERY SMALL PRINT) its been like that for at least 7-8 years

We again don't do so much on windows but doors usually 3-4 a week

we do charge for two visits as well :whistle:

Thanks for comments, we have a system that requires window contacts and internal cover the window manufacturers are being adamant 'no drilling ' only stick on my experience of stick are they can fall off, any comments or advice on where to buy stick on window contacts that are good. Maplins do them but they were the type that fell off in very hot sun light.

Thanks

binthere

TBH If its white upvc, stick on contacts, and a thin bead of white silicon around the contact, in conjunction with the contacts own sticky backing, will secure it more so, and even neaten its appearance, problem is - if ever a problem arrises with the contact, it then becomes messy having to clean old silicon off and resilicon it. (Probably get hammered for this, as most of the guys won't do this method, they prob wouldn't approve).

Mind you these days, I only do audible only systems, as Im not personally NSI approved etc, so Im not sure silicon is an approved mechanically sound method, I would have thought not actually, but ho-hum.

can't think last time I did window contacts on PVC anyway it's a load of sh1te the "seal" of the frame goes as soon as they fix it to the wall..... window / door side has got locks/ handels nailed on it with on gaskets has it???

and a thin bead of white silicon around the contact,

nah, "screw" that..... :whistle: I'am sure silicon degrades cable insulation???

can't think last time I did window contacts on PVC anyway it's a load of sh1te the "seal" of the frame goes as soon as they fix it to the wall..... window / door side has got locks/ handels nailed on it with on gaskets has it???

nah, "screw" that..... :whistle: I'am sure silicon degrades cable insulation???

Further to reply there is no seal on UPVC window frames only on the glass sealed unit, unfortunatly the insurance co has specified window contacts as well as internal protection, we often fixed window contacts to pvcu (or whatever it is called now) but we have used normal surface with screws, but this time the window people are being adamant no screws.

I like awkward questions sorry!

Binthere

Archived