Security Installer Community

Galaxy Gsm Or Use Built In Telecoms Module (g2-20)

Matt Ward

Hi,

I work for a CCTV/Access control company which occasionly uses Galaxy panels.

Between 1988 and 2000 I worked in the alarm industry installing/servicing (the scantronic 9500/9100 era!).

I use a castle-care tech 2700 panel which moves with me from house to house but I am updating it.

Thanks to your previous responses, I will be buying a Galaxy with flush brass keypad. I have an old SD1+ speech dialler, but after doing alot of research, it seems that the G2 has a telecoms module built in - I know its not a speech dialler but it seems to be an alternative to a SD1+.

I would love the facility of being able to read which zone has activated via SMS on my mobile (rather than just the standard "the alarm at xxxx has activated - intruder" from the SD1+).

I would "prefer" not to have to buy the Galaxy GSM unit.

Can the standard G2 panel send a "text message" to any mobile?

If it can, how do I find out the "SMS" telephone number? - assuming that the panel dials a telephone number first to a receiving station, then the message goes out over the mobile network.

Is there any advantage over a SD1+ (IE, does it show zone text, or is it just "code 3 - intruder")?

How much does it cost to send a single message (when the alarm activates) from the telecoms unit? IE, is it minimal or something like 25pence (UK) per message?

Actually, thinking about it, would it be far easier to buy the GSM unit?

Your opinions would be great!

Thank you,

Matt

Guest rjbsec

The G2-20 can SMS text with the onboard digi (no voice message posible) and there is no need to pay the hefty charge for the GSM module.

Setup to only send on alarm activations the text would send a pre-programmed site id and the zone description.

The G2-20 can SMS text with the onboard digi (no voice message posible) and there is no need to pay the hefty charge for the GSM module.

Setup to only send on alarm activations the text would send a pre-programmed site id and the zone description.

Where does the panel dial to? It must be a company that converts the panels information (down the phoneline) to text a mobile, but is this alot of money and how do you get this telephone number?

Unless the panel actually dials the mobile number and transmits a text message.... uhhh, no it can't!!

Guest rjbsec
Where does the panel dial to? It must be a company that converts the panels information (down the phoneline) to text a mobile, but is this alot of money and how do you get this telephone number?

Unless the panel actually dials the mobile number and transmits a text message.... uhhh, no it can't!!

The panel calls a control centre where the information is sent onward to your mobile phone - you pay for the call from your telephone line to the control centre and a text from the control centre to your mobile; if set for alarm activations only costs would be minimal.

Your mobile provider may be able to help you with a control centre number.

Archived