Security Installer Community

registered installer (SSAIB/NACOSS)

Guest basharat_hussain

Guest basharat_hussain

hello all,

if a small shop wants an alarm fitting with the intention of saving on the business in insaurance company will it have to prove that the installed alarm was fitted by a qualified person

If so what are the qual's. I have been on the SSAIB and NACOSS sites. They talk about getting NVQ etc. What if i work to the standard EN 50131 (to come) will this be ok ?

Thanks in advance.

= = =

Bash

To install an alarm system that is insurance approved you must be a member of either NACOSS or SSAIB, as then the insurance company knows that you are being regulated and should be installing security systems to current standards (as well as keeping all the relevant service records in accordace with current guidelines).

SSAIB and NACOSS both recommend NVQ although it is not (**yet**) a requirement to become a member of their body.

Dale

Guest basharat_hussain

what if i bought a shop and it already had an alarm fitted ?

would the shop qualify for a discount on the insaurance (since it could have been a NACSS approved fitter) ?

-----

Bash

Only if the alarm was installed by a NACOSS or SSAIB approved installer. The system also needs to be maintained by a NACOSS or SSAIB installer.

You need to check with the insurance company that they dont have specific design requirements. ie RedCare or confirmation technology.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, if it were me and the only reason for having an alarm was to claim a paltry 5 or 10% discount then I wouldn't bother. Lets face it, if the insurance is £300 a 10% discount is going to nett you a whopping £30. Balance that with the cost of having a system installed and maintained - not a fortune for a decent bit of kit, that should help stop you being burgled but do the math...

If you get the discount and then the system is left switched off whilst you leave the building - even for a short period of time - you could find that you aren't covered.

I'm an installer so I'd recommend you to get the alarm installed or maintained properly anyway but not claim any discount from the insurer. Then at least you are as covered as the bloke next door who doesn't have a system but didn't claim a discount either...

It has been known for insurance companies to use the fact that a discount is given, for not paying up in the case where the system is off. If they give you the discount they expect the system to be armed at all times the premises are unattended.

If on the otherhand its an insurance requirement to have a UKAS accredited installer, then thats a different matter altogether.

Andy.

Manufacturer

Guest oldtimer

Totally agree with Andy and would take it a step further by saying you should get the customer to sign a disclaimer because as soon as your back is turned the first thing they do is phone the insurance company to cut their premium.

Archived