Security Installer Community

Sensormatic \ Ad Gurus - Got A Question For You

Guest Rob1547

Guest Rob1547

Hey There! I have the TouchTracker 16 (Model RCTT16BE) an EIM Kit and the 2.02 Flash software upgrade. I was running the flash program, with no problems until about half way through when the program randomly quit. The screen says "PGM ===> FLASH" and is totally unresponsive.

I called AD, they said that the Flash chip is completly spent, that it will need a new one. This is true because when a Flash upgrade goes bad, generally the device is rendered useless. In this case, my Touch Tracker is an expensive paper weight and there isn't much I can do about it. First the tech told me to call up any American Dynamics authorized reseller, even if I didn't buy it from them, and they would fix it for free. Obviously, no one in the world would do that so I pretty much told her lets get real here.

The tech said that she would follow up and call me back tomorrow. Do you guys know of anything I can do? I told her if she sends me the chip I can put it in, but its all up in the air. I'm worried that my Touch Tracker is going to be a $200 piece of plastic. Any info would be great. Thanks alot!

Hey Rob,

I must admit to finding it difficult to believe that the flash chip is "spent". Unless the product's fundamentally changed in the last few years, the flash chip isn't something that just wears out.

The tracker has two firmware IC's in there (or at least used to). One handles the foundation software (button mapping, i/o etc) and the other to the top layer application software. The first IC is not flash therefore it is has to be totally erased before new code can be imported. The second is flash, so each of the chips addressable locations are indervidually editable (is this a word?).

When you upload new software, it used to do it in two stages. First using the message pgm=eeprom and then pgm=flash. The only vulnerable time should be when it attempts to reprogramme the first IC (if the download is interrupted) as, without it, it no longer knows how to communicate.

Unfortunatly, once the firmware's goosed (not the chip as you were informed) you're scuppered. If you do manage to get through to a proper techie, it might be worth asking for both IC's (eeprom and flash) with the latest software. If it's any consolation, trackers were notorious for this to the point that we bought in a prom blower and a stack of ICs to manually upgrade the software. You'll also need a chip extractor to remove them (you can do it with a precision driver but it really easy to seriously bugger the holder).

PM me and I'll give you the name a very good Tyco guy in Leeds.

Hope this helps and good luck

Guest Rob1547

The tech said that I need 2 part numbers.

0710-2833-0103 = EEPROM

0710-2834-0202 = Flash

These are for the 2 chips. I hope that the 2 chips are in sockets, and that I can simply take them out with a chip extractor, as you said, and pop in the 2 new ones, versus de-soldering them and soldering them back on. She said that, as an end-user, I could not order them through AD directly, and that I would need to contact a re-seller to get them.

I contacted a re-seller and left the AD guy a message, hopefully he will call me back. Do you know of any place I can get these 2 part numbers? Thanks!

EDIT = Upon opening the Tracker, I have found 2 chips that look like flash chips. They appear to be PLCC chips, they look just like this. If you are facing the tracker as if you are using it, the are at the bottom left, left of where the palm rest is. They have part numbers 0701-2833-0100 Version 1.00 and 0701-2834-0101 Version 1.01.

Guest Rob1547

Sort of good news, each chip is only $10 dollars each, but as you probably know, it is damn-near impossible to order anything through the company without an account, which is hard to get being a residential user.

I got through to a sales manager and he is trying to get me these 2 parts, hopefully I will get a call back tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Archived