Security Installer Community

Becomming "approved"

i have been installing /servicing fire systems for 18 plus years now but now i need to be "approved in some shape or form which is the best to go for??

Depends on what you actually do. If you design systems from scratch, then install, commission and maintain, you could go BAFE. (LPC costing a small fortune).

If you only install/maintain then you could get approvals for these modules only and save some money.

If you install only you could get the BAFE module or the ECA Electro Technical certificate for fire alarms.

You could go down the NICEIC route but we left them a few years ago cos they didn't know much about fire alarms, and they probably still want you to buy every guidance book under the sun regarding electrical regulations around bathrooms and swimming pools and three phase power which, I have to say, I never thought to be really relevant.....

They may have changed by now ...... :hmm:

Guest Cerberus NI
Depends on what you actually do. If you design systems from scratch, then install, commission and maintain, you could go BAFE. (LPC costing a small fortune).

If you only install/maintain then you could get approvals for these modules only and save some money.

If you install only you could get the BAFE module or the ECA Electro Technical certificate for fire alarms.

You could go down the NICEIC route but we left them a few years ago cos they didn't know much about fire alarms, and they probably still want you to buy every guidance book under the sun regarding electrical regulations around bathrooms and swimming pools and three phase power which, I have to say, I never thought to be really relevant.....

They may have changed by now ...... :hmm:

Problem being (well over here anyways) is that local authorities want NICEIC because they know it's to do with electrical (but reasonably nothing to do with fire alarms!).BAFE or BFPSA courses would be the way to go.

Guest G.J.M
Problem being (well over here anyways) is that local authorities want NICEIC because they know it's to do with electrical (but reasonably nothing to do with fire alarms!).BAFE or BFPSA courses would be the way to go.

agree with above. BFPSA courses are available through Gardiner security too if you have an account with them?

Not sure if its changed now, but an NICEIC certificate isn't recognised under the BAFE scheme, so a BAFE commissioning company can't accept an NICEIC cert as proof of installation.

The local authority route is another consideration, personally we don't do any of it, hence no need for NIC....

Archived