Security Installer Community

Texecom Keypad Won't Accept New Code.

Guest KenW

Guest KenW

Everything was going OK on my newly installed Texecom system. The walk test was OK and the siren and strobe tested OK. All PIRs work. Then I tried to put in a new PIN. The Texecom keypad seems to accept the code , i.e. it makes the right beeping noises, but when I try to use the new code to full set the system, it won't accept it. Instead, the only code that works is the factory preset engineer code. I only have one keypad so I assumed, as per the manual, that it was preset to address one. So I didn't attempt to programme the keypad address any differently.

To summarise, if I want to access the programming menu, then my new code (PIN) will work. However, if I try and use my new PIN to arm the system, nothing happens. At this stage, the system is all powered up, battery and mains, and I'm nervous about switching things off in case I get into more trouble. Have I done something stupid? Can anyone help?

Sorry, perhaps it is the way I have read your post, but it seems like you are getting confused between the engineers code, and the user code.

Page 26 of the installation manual covers changing the engineer code (the one used to programme the system), which sounds like the one you have changed.

Page 7 of the user's manual covers changing the user code (used to set and unset etc.)

Sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick.

Andrew

Any statement made or information provided in this post are the mere opinions of the author, and no inferrence is to be made as to the quality of information nor should any reliance be placed upon its contents.

Guest KenW

Andrew, I think you are on to something which has been niggling away at me ever since I started to read the manual. Here are the facts: I have a Texecom Veritas R8 panel and Odyssey siren. My installation manual tells me, on page 26, how to change the engineer code and I have done so to a 4 digit number of my own choosing. However, this section, headed "Changing the engineer's code" starts out by saying "Each user has a programmable 4 digit PIN which the user enters in order to operate the alarm system. Every user has the ability to change their 4 digit Access code as follows:" and it then goes on to describe the sequence of key presses required. I followed these instructions. So have I changed the engineer code or the user code?

To confuse the issue, page 7 of my User manual, has a section titled "To change Your Code" and the sequence of key presses it gives, are the same as those given on page 26 of the installation manual, titled "Changing the Engineers Code"

I think that I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick! Perhaps I can't read, or the manuals are wrong!

Ken

I think you can't read.

If you are in engineer programming then doing a code change will change the engineer code.

If you are in customer programming then doing a code change will change the customer code.

The sequence for each is identical, the only difference is that you are changing the code you entered the menu with.

Now you see why it's usually best not to let people read installation manuals!

Guest KenW

cheers, Lurch.

That's what happens when you get cheap glasses. I'm now in the position where I have possibly changed both engineer and user codes to the same four digit number. I am getting a bit confused. I think I should try and restore factory default settings and try again to reprogramme. My manual gives me a code to enter from the programming menu. So can I just confirm firstly that restoring factory settings is the way to go, and secondly, that I should enter Programming Menu by entering my new (changed) engineer code rather than entering Programming Menu using my new (possibly changed!) user code?

Guest KenW
It is not possible to set user and engineer codes to the same 4 digit number.

To find out if the code is engineer or user, enter the code, press PROG, then enter 40. If it is engineer code you will hear a dual acceptance tone. If it is user code you will hear a 'negative' sounding note.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. I think I have now got my digits sorted. I followed your advice to check my codes. Sure enough, the user code gave a negative sounding tone, but the Engineer code gave no tone at all after entering 40. Instead, I had to press "reset" before I got the double acceptance tone, and then had to press "reset" again to reset the system. I don't suppose there is anything wrong but I thought it best to report here before I go off and party.

Ken

Archived