Security Installer Community

pc based cctv web viewing

Guest pp1

Can anyone out there help or point me in the right direction, its probably a networking/it problem more than a cctv problem but i'm sure we all accept this is where we are all heading.

I am using a geovision 4 channel pc dvr card from my domestic computer, included in the softare is a webcam server facility which is supposed to be simple to setup and i can view my camera system and playback via the internet. Great I hear you all say.

I have direct dialled into m modem with the other software provided and monitored my cameras from another computer directly, but now I'm on broadband is a whole new ball game, this is where I am dangerous...I KNOW A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THIS SUBJECT BUT ONLY A LITTLE BIT.

My broadband connection is not via the normal modem but via network card and DSL gateway/router, the camera card is supposed to recognise my gateway ip address which is dynamic not static.

Without boring anyone any further with all the roads i've been down and interesting things i have got my computer to do whilst trying to solve this problem i'll stop here, as anyone who may be able to assist me will understand what i've written, unfortunately i've scoured the inernet and telephoned numerous helplines at great cost but i seem to be talking computer nonsense to most them.If anyone out there can help or tell me the people who can help i would be most grateful

Many thanks

Without knowing the specifics of the software you are using it is impossible to be definitive. However:

a ) If the CCTV is normally accessed via a web browser then you will need to ensure that the server and port are visible to the internet. Generally this would be port 80, but many ADSL providers (including BT) will not forward this port, they do not like people running their own servers, so it may be necessary to change the port.

b ) If your ADSL supplier is giving you a dynamic IP address then look at www.dyndns.org for a way of resolving a name to a dynamic address.

If you can supply a reference to the software you are using and the identity of your ADSL supplier I may be able to make a more concrete recommendation.

Mike

Thanks mike,

I'm using an actiontec dsl gateway and my isp is ukonline, opensurf account

re the software for the capture card its geovision gv600 the latest software i have just downloaded is from the below site, including a dmip program, would i be right in saying the dmip program/software is the answer to the dynamyc ip.

www.rfconcepts.co.uk/geovision-downloads.htm

I must confess i'm at the limit of my it skills at this point,

Paul

The UKOnline OpenSurf account seems to be modem based and is not 'always on'. Do you actually have the UKOnline Broadband account? Though the Actiontec Home Gateway seems to support both ordinary modems and DSL connections.

For a modem connection you will first need to initiate the internet connection. For DSL it seems likely that they are filtering port 80 so you will have to set the CCTV software to use a port other than port 80, with modem connection this may not apply. In both cases you will also have to set up the router to forward whatever port you choose to the machine running the CCTV software. It appears the dmip software is their solution to dynamic dns, dyndns is another. You can check the router and remote access setup without worrying about dynamic dns by just using the IP address you have actually been allocated, the lease on the address should be retained until the router is switched off/on or the IP connection otherwise drops

Archived