Security Installer Community

Remote Access To Cctv

raythebike

Hi experts, I understand the CCTV element, but my ISP wont give me a public IP address, so is it possible to create a VPN tunnel without a public IP address? Or is there another way to view the CCTv data?

Have a looking at Dynamic DNS services, there are many of them out there and they work a treat. They are a doddle to set up and you can then VPN in or set up some simple security.

Google should give you all you need.

Hi experts, I understand the CCTV element, but my ISP wont give me a public IP address, so is it possible to create a VPN tunnel without a public IP address? Or is there another way to view the CCTv data?

Yes , there's a few ways to do this:

Dynamic DNS service allows you to associate a host name with an IP address which changes frequently, such as one assigned to you via your broadband provider.

There's tons of information about how to do this on the net.

Another way is Secure Socket Layer (SSL) connection - web-based remote access

....or you could create a small network with the DVR and a PC plugged into a hub. You could then remote onto the PC with some free software e.g www.logmein.com and access the DVR.

Couple of other ways but you start getting expensive!

Dump your provider and go Demon!

Or Dynamic DNS service as already mentioned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Yes , there's a few ways to do this:

Dynamic DNS service allows you to associate a host name with an IP address which changes frequently, such as one assigned to you via your broadband provider.

There's tons of information about how to do this on the net.

Another way is Secure Socket Layer (SSL) connection - web-based remote access

....or you could create a small network with the DVR and a PC plugged into a hub. You could then remote onto the PC with some free software e.g www.logmein.com and access the DVR.

Couple of other ways but you start getting expensive!

Thanks guys, dynamic dns it is.

When you say

Ray, who is your ISP btw?

Spud, could you explain what you mean by "Make sure your router supports DYDNS" please? I thought port forwarding would be all he needed and, of course the DYDNS client running on his machine.

cheers.

I suspect there's been some misunderstandings here. What I think the OP is saying is that they can't put their DVR directly on the internet, it'll need some kind of NAT/Port Forwarding/Virtual Servers setting up rather than they can't get a static IP.

Is that vaguely correct?

[Edit]Actually spud's already asked the same question, nvm :)

--

psumner@dmicros.com

Manufacturer

Archived