Security Installer Community

PIRs and Letterboxes

Guest Deryck Tintagel

Guest Deryck Tintagel

Just about to do another installation and this time in an old (1905) house - the situation is as follows:

The front door from the street opens directly into the front living area - no hall or lobby. I intend to cover the room with a dual-tech sensor but I was wondering about the letter box in the door!

Question: should I site the detector on the wall facing the door or should I place it above the door so that the postman dropping letters doesn't cause a false alarm. It would be easier to position the detector facing the door as the panel will be beneath the stairs about 2m away.

Thanks for any suggestions

The front door from the street opens directly into the front living area - no hall or lobby. I intend to cover the room with a dual-tech sensor
however it would be a guess to say that a window would be somewhere on the same wall as the door? If so it is a good thing to remember that PIR sensors should not look toward windows if that is possible

If Deryck is intending to use a dual-sensor, surely the PIR facing a window issue doesn't come into play as the dual-tech sensor won't alarm unless both the PIR technology and the Microwave technology is simultaneously activated.

Unless of course there's an issue with facing dualtech sensors towards windows?

Archived