Security Installer Community

Heat Detectors?

Guest Rocky

Ruling out naked flames, Jamie Oliver style blow torch mania and waving soldering irons about the place, how do you safely walk test an heat detector?

I use aerosol smoke for testing smoke detectors, but I'm a little scuppered when it comes to testing a heat detector.

I'm also led to believe there are two types of heat detector (if not more), one detects a pre-fixed temperature and the other detects a rapid rise in temperature.

Any info out there?

:huh: there is a special tool made by solo it comes with charger and two batteries but it is expensive around the £200 mark

if your allowed to use 240vac equipement a hair drier will do

but keep a distance of a 30cms from the detector

don't use blow torch of paint stipper heat gun they are two hot and will damage detector (will work this visit and will not the next) also it tends to melt the plastic

there are 3 common types rate of rise(looking for sudden temp changes) these test quickly fixed temp type 1 (around 55-60 c) and type 3 (around 90 c fixed)

these take a bit longer to test but dont be tempted to get the hair drier any closer

just a word of warning some older heat detector pre 1988 were 1 hit wonders

and after one use you replaced :blink: they look like a small 10p sized disk hanging from celing and ave no led indication

most of the plastic type are ok

good luck B)

Archived