Security Installer Community

Green call-points for doors

Guest Bell-man

Guest Bell-man

I've just been doing an assesment of the fire alarm protection in an office block.

They've got mag-locks all over the place. Some of them have green break-glasses but some are white and others are yellow.

Yellow is for gas extinguishant activation. I know green is common practice but is it actually in any regulation anywhere?

I don't want to slate the firm that put yellow in only to have someone wave a book at me saying show me the rule!

I've just been doing an assesment of the fire alarm protection in an office block.

They've got mag-locks all over the place. Some of them have green break-glasses but some are white and others are yellow.

Yellow is for gas extinguishant activation. I know green is common practice but is it actually in any regulation anywhere?

I don't want to slate the firm that put yellow in only to have someone wave a book at me saying show me the rule!

46582[/snapback]

hmm thats a good one, think ive heard something similar before... you could try looking at the likes of kac website etc and see if it says anything

but as you say i have always known red for fire, green for doors, yellow for gas and seen blue for bomb alert but i have also seen white for doors

From Kac

KAC call points are available in the 5 colours listed.

Indoor models are supplied in the colour in there entirety. Outdoor and Waterproof models are either Red, or they are White with the front face in the desired colour.

Call points for use in Fire protection systems are always red, and meet a defined colour requirement according to Fire Standards. As far as KAC are aware there are no other formal standards which dictate the use of particular colours for different applications, although individual territories have adopted the generic colours for different needs.

Green is normally associated with Access Control Systems and Door Release Applications. White too is used in these systems.

Yellow is associated with Gas Release or Extinguishing Systems and occasionally Venting Systems.

White is used in Electrical Systems to match standard white fittings.

Blue is used in the Netherlands in Evacuation Systems, and for anything else !

Also most of our mag lock are released by fire alarm as well (must be school spec thing?)

I think I'd still note it as a recommendation as it does seem to be an adopted convention (green for access, red for fire etc...). Just note that it isn't actually a requirement, but a recommendation for clarity of what each call point does. Either recommend replacement or ensure that all points are clearly labelled with what they are operating if they're not for fire.

• 1 month later...

Archived