Security Installer Community

Wickes alarm system outside buzzer problem

Guest nwrona

Guest nwrona

Can I first say that I didn't install this system, the previous owners did. Okay now my problem.

I have an old wickes wired alarm system, 12 black buttons, I'm guessing 8/9 years old by what i've read elsewhere. One day out of the blue (no power cuts, etc) the outside alarm bell box goes off. So after unscrewing the front of the control panel I decided to take out the battery. This shut it off. Now my panel is still in pieces, the tamper buzzer stopped going off after i hit a few random buttons but i still am not sure what the problem is. It went off in early November and hasn't gone off since but I'm going on holiday and don't want to really leave my neighbours with a few surprises.

So, I called wickes and they said to replace the battery because if my power cuts out it will go off again.

Now I'm getting my battery tomorrow, but i was also told by whoever i spoke to at wickes that it didn't make sense for that to happen in the first place. If the battery was taken out then the alarm should have still gone off using the mains power. Maybe there is a timer on it and that elapsed so it's coincidence?

I have to buy a new battery anyway I guess but I would appreciate any other ideas to what the problem may be?

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your system is not worth even trying to fix, the systems were poor to bad when they were new.

It sounds like maybe the outside bell box went into tamper and the bell went off for 20 minutes on its own due to having a battery and 20min timer in the bell box. So changing the battery in the panel wont fix the fault anyway In my honest opinion.

It could also be the mains had a "blip" and the panel tried to switch to batt power for a split second and if the battery is knackered anyway from not having been changed for years, then this in turn could have damaged the panel.

I would certainly not trust the system whilst you are away whatever you do.

I know you just want it fixed - but it sounds like it needs to be replaced, where abouts are you?

Try phoning around a few diferent alarm companies for quotes or someone may be near you on this site.

Regards, Dave.

Guest nwrona

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was pretty shot to be honest. it's not so much I care about whether the house is protected. I live in a really good area and have a neighbour staying at the house so that doesn't bother me. I'm more worried about it going off again at some wee hour of the morning and bugging her. I guess I was trying to figure out if there was some way to disable it without having to find a massive ladder and tampering with the actual buzzer outside. Looks like that was high hoping though.

Do you think if i removed the battery from the buzzer outside that it would stop it from going off again sporadically or would i have to take the battery out and cut the wires?

I cant tell you to decommision your own system sorry.

Perhaps if you wait and see what other advice is offered on here first before doing anything.

Guest nwrona
I cant tell you to decommision your own system sorry.

Perhaps if you wait and see what other advice is offered on here first before doing anything.

45229[/snapback]

If there is anyone in the Cambridge area who could disable this system for me can you please email me.

Thanks.

Archived