Security Installer Community

City and Guilds etc ?

Guest Ants

Whats peoples opinions on the City and Guilds qualifications , 1851 I think for the security industry? Are they worth doing? Up to date content? SITO do courses via distance learning, any good?

As 'mature' engineer I want to get some recognisable qualifications. Or do companys prefer people who can 'walk the walk and talk the talk'? Your opinion much appreciated.

I must admit, I have no intention in doing it as if five years experience a degree in engineering, and two years experience teaching electronics aint enough, I dont know what is!

D

B) When I came out of the RAF in 1998 I did a six week intensive retraining course, That resulted in a C&G qualification or two.

1859/07 Basic Access Control / Closed Circuit TV

1859/06 Security Systems Installation / Advanced Intruder Alarms

1859/04 Intruder Alarms Technology For Electronic Security Systems

These Qualifications are only available to service men about to leave the service. At the time the course was being run by the TSRO and the teacher was Trevor Jenks an SSAIB inspector.

I can say these courses helped me massively to get my foot in the door, As befor that the only electronic stuff I used to do involved blowing up my battery powered CB radio when I thought I would boost its out put by wiring it to the mains.

I was better when it came to fixing cassette players at least they worked after chewing a tape or two.( all befor I left school back in 85)

When I did start work in the industry at least I knew how to wire a panel ,pir ,bell box ect... My biggest problem was using a soldering iron as I had never used one before, and understanding ID systems as the company I joined uses ID a lot.

The upshot is it saved me 4-5 months of on the job training and very low start pay

the other thing it did for me was it covered a lot about BS4737 I was very shocked to find when I started work just how little any of the other engineers knew anything about British standards and a lot of thing where being done wrong, Thankfully thing have been improved a lot since then, and we do a lot of on site training now.

I believe the 1851 qualification is a sysmilar course but over a 2-3 year period.

Adrian B)

Guest andy jinks

I must admit ive always used the walk the walk talk the talk approach with new engineers.ive been on several courses sito being one of them that after only a days work said I was a better engineer and gave me a certificate, thank you very much for the free lunch but a total waist of time.

Experience is important but not the most as is qualifications, honesty, loyalty and reliability, but I still think the most important things are common sense and the ability not to flap at the first sign of trouble and all the rest they can learn.

The problem is the new test will just be a A goes to B and read this health and safety monkey teaching mind numbingly boring no free lunch thank you very much for coming your now a engineer.

If I have to do it I will but it wont taste nice.

Thanks for the feed back. Must adnit I don't want to do C+G. Long winded etc. I have a fair range of experience in 18 months.

Probably go for Tavcoms Btec. A one day course with on the job course work etc, Student needs 3 years experience to go for it.

Archived