Security Installer Community

Optima XM issues

Guest DaveH

I recently moved into a new house to find an Optima XM system in place, however the internal sounder appears to have stopped working. Is this common? Can it be replaced or do I need a new control panel? Also one of the PIR detectors is broken. Does a new one have to Optima XM specific or will any work? Thanks for any help...Dave

Dave,

Your internal sounder will be simple to replace if it is broken, however they don't usually break! Check inside the sounder to see if the wires are all connected. There should be only two, unless the tampers have been connected, in which case there will be four.

I don't know the Optima systems but inside the panel should be two wires which connect up to SPK or similar again check these to see if these are connected.

Opening your panel will trigger the tamper alarm silence this by entering your code, unless you know the engineers code in which case use this.

Any PIR should work on your system there will be 6 wires, 2 for the zone, two for power and two for the tamper circuit.

Again when you open the PIR up to replace it the tamper should trigger. Make sure you disconnect the PIR power inside the panel prior to fitting a new one, otherwise you may blow a fuse.

All pretty simple and straight forward take your time and you will have no problems.

I'm sure someone who knows this panel will post if I'm wrong!

cheers

Simmo B)

Simmo is correct in what he says, the board will probably be labelled with a speaker logo as to where to check the connections. On the XM you will also find a volume control pot. Just turn this gently back and forth with a small screwdriver in case the contacts have become corroded or oxidised.

If still no joy, the cheapest way is to try a new extension speaker (min 16 ohms, max of 2 speakers). If still new joy, either consider a new panel or go without an extension speaker!

Good Luck

Steve Kendall

Plymstock Security Systems

CCTV, Intruder Alarms, Security Lighting & Access Control

Covering Plymouth, Plymstock, Plympton, South Devon and South East Cornwall

Archived