Security Installer Community

What Grade Of System Is This

Hi guys, i keep being asked to install fire alarm systems in escape routes in small blocks of flats. when filling out paper work i am grading it as L4 (no grade was specified on install). is this right as really it is a dwelling and imo it should have detection and sounders in the flat.

Hi guys, i keep being asked to install fire alarm systems in escape routes in small blocks of flats. when filling out paper work i am grading it as L4 (no grade was specified on install). is this right as really it is a dwelling and imo it should have detection and sounders in the flat.

Rob its not really down to you to decide what grade of system goes into a building, as there are many factors that would have to be considered in a fire risk assessment.

Most dwellings I have been involved with have had a mix of systems part1 L? for the escape routes and communal areas and part6 M? for the dwelling areas.

Rob make sure you have recorded the fact that there is no guidance set out by the client or consultant, as usually there will be the usual blame game at the end about who's fault the correct type of fire alarm has been fitted. This is the responsibility of the client to have a fire risk assessment in place.

Best of luck Rob

like said above, its really ment to be the client who does a risk assessment and then tells you to what grade they need a system installed to, Aslong as you follow 5939 and cover yourself asfar as no guidence from client. i would say a Part 1 system probally L4

d) Category L4: systems installed within those parts of the escape routes comprising circulation areas and

circulation spaces, such as corridors and stairways.

The objective of a Category L4 system is to enhance the safety of occupants by providing warning of smoke

within escape routes;

NOTE The installation of detectors in additional areas is not precluded, and the system could then still be regarded as a

CategoryL4 system.

i would say that covers what you want.

We've just commissioned a system and it was to L4 with sounder/strobes in flats and Part 6 systems in the flats.

-Willis-

if only mcp's and sounders then class m

if mcps and sounders with smoke detection in the fire escape routes L4

l2 and 3 are the same as L4 but with detection in the rooms off the escape routes

L1 is with detection in all rooms with a floor area over a meter squared

type p are to protect property and have more detection as a quicker response is required by the fire brigade.

details can be found in bs 5839 or by searching the web.

but as was orginal stated it is not up to the engineer to decide the system but the person responsible for the building to do so in there fire risk assement as required by law.

remember if you dothe risk assement as things go tits up you go to jail?

Archived