Security Installer Community

Abacus 8abi Alarm

micky342

I am not an engineer or have any detailed knowledge of alarm systems, however I feel comfortable working with household electrics and wiring in general. My problem is this:-

In about early 1996 I installed an Abacus 8ABI alarm system which, bar the odd spider, has proved to be very reliable up until now. Yesterday when the system was off the internal alarm sounded and the remote keypad showed "TRBL Power". The alarm cannot be set and on each attempt the same fault shows in the display. If the alarm is reset to "System off" after about five minutes the same fault re-occures.

I assumed it was probably the battery which has never been changed. However on checking it has about 13v supply and measuring across the terminals when it is disconnected shows 12.2v although this is not under load. The transformer appears ok and there is a 240v supply.

The system was maufactured by DA systems in Southall(W.London) but they appear to have gone.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Trouble Power is a battery fault. The battery should be replaced at the most every 5 years (I would say 3 years). A replacement battery will sort out your problem but there is no way of turning off the battery monitor. Next time it goes off just silence it with your code but don't reset it (ie leave it showing TRBL Power). This should stop the internal sounder going off.

Trade Member

Trouble Power is a battery fault. The battery should be replaced at the most every 5 years (I would say 3 years). A replacement battery will sort out your problem but there is no way of turning off the battery monitor. Next time it goes off just silence it with your code but don't reset it (ie leave it showing TRBL Power). This should stop the internal sounder going off.

Many thanks antinode. I have obviously done well with it lasting 12 years!! I'll post the outcome.

I have obviously done well with it lasting 12 years!! I'll post the outcome.

chances are its been totaly shafted the past 3+ yrs, the older batteries did last much longer & everyone igroned the when to replace advice, hence some current ones as US after 18 month

Thanks Antinode. All sorted and working

Mike

Archived