Security Installer Community

Texecom Veritas R8Plus

Guest jase the space

Guest jase the space

I have the above system installed in my house. When the cable from the controller to the bell box was installed through the loft they basically routed the cable above and below some beams. I am flooring the loft and needed to reroute the cable.

I did this at the w/e but managed to blow the siren fuse in the controller (I had protected each of the conductors to prevent them shorting out but when I pulled the cable throught the wall the insulation tape was ripped off and I must have got a short). Anyway I had to leave the bell box battery disconnected because it kept going off. I subsequently discovered the fuse had blown and have replaced it.

Now I want to get back up the ladder and connect the bell box battery again - IS THERE A WAY OF DOING THIS WITHOUT SETTING THE THING OFF? Is there anything else I need to consider when doing this? If I do set the thing off I assume I will get a tamper alarm which can be reset by my User Code (?).

I know there is an Engineer Hold-Off on the bell but I need the Engineer Code for this. Is there anyway of getting this (I've tried the default!)? I know you can do a factory reset but is this a wise thing to do - will everything need to be set up again and will I be able to do this without the PC connection?

Basically the alarm was installed before we moved in and I don't want to have to pay for maintenance when all they do is a walk test and check the battery. I therefore want to take control of the system and need the Engineer Code.

BTW: I have the installation manual.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest MarkP

Is it Bell Box from Texecom as well?

If so you can put it into hold off mode by testing the strobe 3 times:

USER CODE, PROG, 05, 2 (Strobe on), 2 (Strobe off), 2, 2, 2, 2,

You can check it's in hold off mode as only the left LED should be flashing.

This then means the bell won't sound when you open the front cover.

Hold off mode is cancelled by testing the sounder, or a few minutes minutes after the bell tamper is closed after being opened. (Both LEDs will flash alternately when back to normal mode.)

NB This won't prevent you blowing any fuses as there is still power to the bell. Also be aware that strobe and sounder circuits have high voltages. These + unwanted bell activations at the top of a ladder can be very dangerous! I would seriously recommend getting a qualified engineer to check the system.

You say all they do is walk test and check the battery, there's a bit more to it than that and of course they would also be sorting your bell box out for you! Most of the problem posts on here come from end users who haven't had their systems regularly serviced - it might seem like your saving money now but when the alarm won't shut up at 3am you might think differently!

Guest jase the space

Thanks MarkP

Yes the bell is indeed Texecom - it looks like it may be an Odyssey 1 from the pictures I've seen.

Funnily enough this user hold-off mode is what Texecom told me to do themselves last week when I rang them but I couldn't get it to work - however they neglected to tell me to enter the pin and go into Prog mode first! They did say that it only lasted for 15 minutes though (although from the installation manual it looks like this is an option).

Presumably if I just have to connect the +ve battery lead back into the bell box then by rights I shouldn't blow a fuse anyway (?).

I take your point about servicing - I'm sure there is more to it but I resent it when I spoke to engineer about my problem initially and he said it was probably a blown fuse and that would cost me £99+VAT thankyou very much - I don't like being held to ransom like this especially when I consider myself competent at electrics etc (disregarding the blown fuse I did!). All I had to do was have the courage to take the cover off the controller and replace the fuse myself with one of the spares kindly left in a ziplock bag behined the battery!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jimbob

Jase the Space

If your live the Greater Manchester Area give me a call if you havent sorted the problem out

Jimbob

Archived