Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9800

Guest killabeezz

Guest killabeezz

Hi,

I'm totally new to this forum and would like to ask your expert advice.

We had a 9800 fitted 10 years ago and has given fantastic protection, but being lazy we never had this system serviced :(

The problem lies when last week i turned all power off to move a socket, and after about 3 mins the keypad box gave out a entry sound and >lb< flashed( low battery i take it ) i carried on doing my job and when finished turned power back on, this changed the keypad signal to >sr< ( system reset ). Then after about 2 hours of this noise i had to remove the battery just to be able to think straight.

So not knowing what to do and the guy who fitted the alarm is now not around any more i called an engineer to have a look,,his first diagnosis is the board is now not working and will not talk to the keypad and when he tries to restore factory defaults he says the NVM reset does not work and the chip might be fried ??

He managed to get the board talking to the keypad but then says its locked and canot be unlocked ?

Surgestion from him is a new board and keypad with a starting cost of £140 plus fitting and programming .

Any body have any ideas where to go next??

Help is much appreciated as we go away soon and have had the comfort of a brilliant alarm for the past 10 years

Guest killabeezz

Thanks once again for your advice.

Just to ad,,prior to me switching off the mains the alarm worked perfectly, and makes me suspect the board might be ok,,,but im no expert and can only take advice from others,,gonna get a few other engineers in to see if they can bring back some life into my system.

cheers for your help,,

Guest Samholland

This is a very common problem with 9800 scantronic panels due to thier Age.

The NVM 93C46 chip is only guaranteed for 1 million read/write cycles. The Main control panel is updating the NVM chip constantly so over a period of time clocks up the figures..

The Best way is Buy a 8pin NVM 93C46 for a couple of quid from maplins or RS or farnell components and do a Live Boot up sequence..

Power system up without NVM chip in

Insert the new chip very carefully

System should bleep and then restore factory defaults

No need for new PCB or Keypad

I have done this many many times succesfully.

but you will need to completely re-program the system.

Sam

Totally agree Sam but I reckon this is not a job for the uninitiated.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Guest lucylastic

thanks sam i had that problem with the 9800 . and being before my time i knew nothing about it , phoned scantronic tech line , and got told panel must be gone ,buy a new one

the current avaiable manuals only go back as far as the 9800+

Guest killabeezz

Just want to update you all on my problem.

3 engineers have told me my board or keypad are broken and will not comunicate with each other ( this could have been caused when i re-inserted the fuse to the downstairs sockets which the alarm takes its power from )

So, putting my trust once more in scantronic i went for the option of a new keypad and panel, 9800+ to be exact. all installed by a alarm engineer who this time at my request has left me with the engineer code :)

Just 1 question if thats ok, all the paramiters seam very similar to my old panel except 1 thing, when i set option (A) and the alarm sets on front door close, how do i get the internal sounder to NOT sound on exit and entry , when i,m already getting a tone from the keypad ? this is the 1 thing thats anoying me.

Thanks once more for your help.

PS, got my old 9800 manuals going if anybody wants them?

Archived