Security Installer Community

Electricity Can Kill

On a little site we have in the city today, 3 houses all with red/gsm.

Did 1st house tested all sigs all detectors ect, was doing good for time might even get an early lunch. Go to next house (all 3 in a row, touch !!) put panel into engineering and go down the stairs to the panel and get a "shock" off the handrail, first thought was static , but we have all had a "belt" at one time so i was getting worried. Then the customer said that happens a lot, in that case i thought its not static ( As i wear rubber soles all the time was discounting it all the time anyway)

Gets out multi meter, sets to ac range , probes on two wall brackets holding the wooden handrail 240VAC, refused to do any more work in the house and advised the clients to not use that stairwell until i had called the building owners. They sent a sparkie round straight away, he was looking at me strange till i put my light stick by the bracket then my meter. He did the same with his and agreed. After he did various tests i suggested he removed the screws from the bracket, this did the trick, some Muppet had drilled then plugged and screwed into one single conductor, how he never felt it is beyond me. The sparks said the RCD`s could`nt see the leakage as it was so small. I suggested he change them anyways.

Moral here, Always follow your nose if you think something isn't correct.

Test everything

If in doubt ASK.

The property holding company were extremely happy i picked this up, the clients even more so............nice to have a "excellent day" once in a while.

cheers

On a little site we have in the city today, 3 houses all with red/gsm.

Did 1st house tested all sigs all detectors ect, was doing good for time might even get an early lunch. Go to next house (all 3 in a row, touch !!) put panel into engineering and go down the stairs to the panel and get a "shock" off the handrail, first thought was static , but we have all had a "belt" at one time so i was getting worried. Then the customer said that happens a lot, in that case i thought its not static ( As i wear rubber soles all the time was discounting it all the time anyway)

Gets out multi meter, sets to ac range , probes on two wall brackets holding the wooden handrail 240VAC, refused to do any more work in the house and advised the clients to not use that stairwell until i had called the building owners. They sent a sparkie round straight away, he was looking at me strange till i put my light stick by the bracket then my meter. He did the same with his and agreed. After he did various tests i suggested he removed the screws from the bracket, this did the trick, some Muppet had drilled then plugged and screwed into one single conductor, how he never felt it is beyond me. The sparks said the RCD`s could`nt see the leakage as it was so small. I suggested he change them anyways.

Moral here, Always follow your nose if you think something isn't correct.

Test everything

If in doubt ASK.

The property holding company were extremely happy i picked this up, the clients even more so............nice to have a "excellent day" once in a while.

cheers

Shocking that

Archived