Security Installer Community

Accenta 8

Guest Key67

Hi

Had a power cut the other day and the alarm went off. After reading advice on this cool forum, I have managed to reset the rkp (which locked out). I have bought a new battery from Maplins (7ah as advised on another post) and reconnected. The alarm now functions fine - except for the little L.E.D. on the control panel. It will not light.

The logo next to the L.E.D. says power, does this mean battery or mains? Is it not on because the backup battery is flat and needs to be charged?

Any help/pointers appreciated, as I can't find any reference to it's function in the manual I have. The panel was installed around 5 years ago and says Accenta 8 on the front.

Thanks

Key

Guest oldtimer

If the power light is not on then the panel has no mains voltage present.

Your keypad will still work and because you have a 7 amphour battery the panel will run on battery power for about 2 days.

First thing to do is ensure you have a mains supply to the panel. This could be tricky if you have no electrical know how.

There could be 2 things wrong here 1 could be the mains supply and 2 it could be the internal fuse inside the panel.

Do you have any more info ie did you switch off the mains when you had the power cut or when you changed the battery ?

Hi, thanks for the reply oldtimer,

There is definetly mains power in to the unit as I followed an earlier post and connected the mains before the battery. This powered up the alarm and allowed me to use the rkp and cancel the alarm. I then connected the battery and all was still well. However, at no time has the LED lit since turning on the mains.

I checked all the fuses on the board, removed from holders (just after power cut, when I was trying to get rkp working) and all had continuity.

As the panel is in a cupboard, I can't remember when I last saw the LED working, so it may have gone u/s before power outage. I take it that the LED shows the mains power only?

Hi Peter, thanks for your note.

It could be either of those, probably u/s as I really can't recall it being on when I powered it up on mains (before connecting batt and closing panel). I will remove the front again tomorrow and check, I shall also check for mains in.

I live in Wakefield by the way!! :D So if you here an(other) alarm belting out through night, you'll know that it was a mains supply problem and the new batterys flat!!

Thanks again.

Key

LoL - Just goes to show, you shouldn't assume anything in this world!

It didn't go off through the night so signs were good! Have had front off again this morning and mains power is there. I disconnected the battery and the alarm stayed off. I checked the output to the battery while disconnected (at the Batt + -) terminals and it was something like 13.8v, so I guess the charger circuit is working. The battery voltage was up at around 12.75v so signs are good that I have only a u/s LED.

What's your thoughts - would you agree or are there any other things for me to check?

Thanks

Key

Hope I'm not butting in! ^_^

The failure of the l.e.d. is not an uncommon feature of this panel. I've come across several. So long as mains is actually present and charging circuits/ aux power are ok, you will probably be all right. I've serviced similar panels with a failed power led and the've worked for several years after. No led is not ideal, but I tell customer the position and mark it on the service sheet.

Regards.

Hi - no you're ok to but in!

I'm glad you did, it makes me feel a little more secure in the knowledge that it is quite common. I am just wondering whether or not I could get an LED and a resistor and tap it into the output of the transformer - that way I don't disturb the board but can tell whether the mains is lost to the board. I could simply drill a hole in the cover and glue it in position.

Anyone ever done something like this?

Key

Hi,

I wouldnt recommend drilling holes in boards, its probably going to be better to contact a local engineer and ask them to install a new control panel for you and service the system, if you want it working properly. There are a few engineers on the forum that cover your area.

Dale

Archived