Security Installer Community

Latching Pir's

:question: I would like advice please on the wiring aspect of latching two of my PIR's. I know you guys don't like more than one PIR on any zone, and neither do I, but I really have no option other than buying a new control panel or perhaps answers to my other questions.

I have installed a Texecom Veritas R8Plus and as I wish to keep one zone free for a fire zone later I have had to wire two PIR's on to one zone. Of course now I am frustrated because on the odd occasion when I have had an activation, possibly because I left the door open for my dogs to activate it, I don't know which PIR has activated. I would therefore like to connect them for latching.

At the moment I have two Activ8 BG glassbreak detectors, which I don't believe have a latching facility, just an End of Line connection (that I have left unconnected), which I think you will tell me is completely different.

My other detectors on other zones are Texecom Prestige Quad PIR's and do have a latching connector.

I suppose I have three questions.

1. The two PIR's on the one zone are presently covering my living room (large french doors) and my study (computer present). For these reasons I thought intially that I should have the glass break technolgy. Do you agree or would a simple Texecom quad PIR suffice?

2. If I keep these detectors, as they require two zones (one for the movement detector and one for the glass break detector), could I wire the movement detector and GB detector in series to the same zone so that each PIR would have it's own zone so at least I would know which one had activated? I know that it may still cause problems but at least I would know which room detector was activating.

3. If I do change the detectors for a latching type am I right in thinking that instead of wiring the +ve and -ve of the PIR to +AUX and -AUX that I wire the +ve to +AUX and -ve to SW+ and then program the control panel appropriately?

A lot of questions. Thanks for your patience. :signthankspin:

Personally, I would prefer to have a standard Texecom quad to an Activ8 detector any day. Personal preference only - I did not get on with the Activ8 detectors I was sent for testing. The glass-break would activate whenever a train went past or someone clapped their hands.

I can't remember if you can split the two technologies on the Activ8 detectors. Are you saying that you are using one zone for both break-glass relays, and one zone for both PIR relays? If so - then split them so you have one zone for each detector - not each technology.

D7

Are you saying that you are using one zone for both break-glass relays, and one zone for both PIR relays? If so - then split them so you have one zone for each detector - not each technology.

Yes, that's right. I can do that. As I said at least if I get an activation I'll know which detector it is, even if I don't know which technology has activated.

Do you think that a simple Texecom quad would be adequate to cover these areas without the glass break? Both PIR's cover the vulnerable areas of entry.

Do you think that a simple Texecom quad would be adequate to cover these areas without the glass break? Both PIR's cover the vulnerable areas of entry.

It is difficult to say without seeing the premises. If the area you wish to protect is protected by the movement sensor (do a walk test) then - yes a quad is adequate.

:signthankspin: Until I get round to changing things (because the wiring is in the loft - it's a bungalow - it's too hot up there at the moment) I've changed the zones as you advised so that each PIR has it's own zone now.

Just for my own personal knowledge could you answer point 3 of my original question please.

Just for my own personal knowledge could you answer point 3 of my original question please.

The latch will have it's own connection inside the detector, so you will need to run an 8 core cable if you want to use that function. The latch wires from all the latching detectors are wired back to the Set + input or an output programmed to go positive on setting of the system (the Veritas has this terminal). It's more straightforward than it sounds.

Trade Member

The latch will have it's own connection inside the detector, so you will need to run an 8 core cable if you want to use that function. The latch wires from all the latching detectors are wired back to the Set + input or an output programmed to go positive on setting of the system (the Veritas has this terminal). It's more straightforward than it sounds.

So where you have to wire more than one PIR on one zone the latch on each one is wired in series back to SW+?

So where you have to wire more than one PIR on one zone the latch on each one is wired in series back to SW+?

Yeah, they all go into that terminal, in series.

I nearly forgot too, don't forget to check the programming of the SW+ output as it can be changed on the Veritas. I think it comes programmed for latching, but I'm not 100% sure. It's easy to change anyway.

Trade Member

no parallel?

are you using six core?

no parallel?

are you using six core?

It was just a theoretical question as I don't need to latch at the moment but from the previous answer it would appear that I would need 8 core for the Texecom Prestige Quad PIR's.

Thanks for everyones help, I'm sorted now.

Archived