Security Installer Community

OPTIMA XM "WAKE UP CALL"

Guest SHREK

We have an Optima XM system that used to work fine, but for no apparent reason began setting off a "tamper" alarm every night between approx 04:00 and 06:00.We cannot have it fully set when we go out because we just can't trust it. I have linked out the scr tamper loop and run it, but lo and behold it went off during the night again. Tonight I am linking out the main tamper loop and running it again, but am dreading the horrible sound it makes during the early hours.It stays on "day" mode all day ok and never goes off.

Any ideas? Sleepless in Northampton :(

Bet your tired now then! :blink:

If the tamper circuit is not activated tonight then you have probably identified roughly where the problem lies.

Have you disturbed any of the installtion recently?

It's possible that a cable may have become damaged. If you feel confident to open up the panel, you will find the tamper circuit to be a series of loops between every alarm cable inside (or it should be!) :wacko:

If you are a bit of a sparkie type, measure the loop resistances of the tamper circuits individually. You should expect around 1-6 ohms maximum in most domestic situations. Anything higher may indicate trouble. :angry:

If all looks good, wire back in each tamper loop circuit by circuit until you get another alarm activation. If the activations have been regular then you may have identified the circuit concerned.

I assume you have looped out the SCB (SCR??) tamper to the external sounder?

This will eliminate that source of activation.

Good Hunting! :P

Steve Kendall

Plymstock Security Systems

CCTV, Intruder Alarms, Security Lighting & Access Control

Covering Plymouth, Plymstock, Plympton, South Devon and South East Cornwall

Bet your tired now then! :blink:

If the tamper circuit is not activated tonight then you have probably identified roughly where the problem lies.

Have you disturbed any of the installtion recently?

It's possible that a cable may have become damaged. If you feel confident to open up the panel, you will find the tamper circuit to be a series of loops between every alarm cable inside (or it should be!)  :wacko:

If you are a bit of a sparkie type, measure the loop resistances of the tamper circuits individually. You should expect around 1-6 ohms maximum in most domestic situations. Anything higher may indicate trouble. :angry:

If all looks good, wire back in each tamper loop circuit by circuit until you get another alarm activation. If the activations have been regular then you may have identified the circuit concerned.

I assume you have looped out the SCB (SCR??) tamper to the external sounder?

This will eliminate that source of activation.

Good Hunting! :P

Thanks Steve for your reply,

I think I might just have tracked down the culprit....I've found a junction box hidden in the airing cupboard with its cover wired with what appears to be a tamperproof microswitch.(is this normal in a professionally installed system?) I'm assuming that this is cooling down during the night setting off the tamper alert. Hence the fact it never goes off during the day. (The junction box cover wasn't on as tight as it might have been)

Only time will tell......Here's hoping for a good nights sleep Ha Ha!

:rolleyes:

Guest oldtimer

Shrek

Me thinks your problem is with the mains supply to your panel.

The power transmission in this country is getting worse.

Why do I think it is the mains supply? cos the power companies often do maintenance or switching at night.

So how do you prove it ?

Easy just switch off the mains supply to your panel and if the lights all go off then your problem is your battery. When you switch it back on and you get a tamper alarm (this is the first thing to happen on power up) then all you have to do is remove the battery and get a replacement at your local nationwide electrical wholesaler.

Well Done!

Junction boxes used in alarm systems should have a tamper leaf spring wired up underneath the lid. This is to prevent unauthorised tamper going on without notification.

They do sometimes break the circuit, especially if loose! Make sure the leaf spring makes when you replace the lid.

If in doubt, temporarily wire out this tamper leaf.

You're looking more awake today !!

:blink:

Steve Kendall

Plymstock Security Systems

CCTV, Intruder Alarms, Security Lighting & Access Control

Covering Plymouth, Plymstock, Plympton, South Devon and South East Cornwall

Archived