Security Installer Community

Broadcast / Almost-broadcast Ptz Cameras

Guest sleman

Guest sleman

Our church is interested in recording our services for later broadcast.

I was thinking about 2x PTZ Sony EVI-D70 + a camera controller (joystick) (Sony RM-BR300).

What I heard so far is that the Pan/Tilt on these cameras is not really made for broadcast as it jitters in the beginning/end of pan/tilt. The BC300 is supposed to be perfect for this but it's $4k, a bit steep.

How about the Samsung SCC-C6403N? 32x zoom - 3.55 ~ 113mm looks pretty sweet and it has variable tilt/pan. I can't seem to find this camera anywhere online though...

Our budget is max $2k per camera.

There must be a $1k-$2k PTZ camera that offers smooth panning for video recording.

Any experience you can offer me is greatly appreciated.

I've got an EVI-D70P, mine doesn't seems to jitter at the start/end of movement, maybe that occours if you have a camera with worn out gears?

There is a Sony BRC-300 PTZ 3-CCD camera that's designed for broadcast quality, but I'm unsure about the pan and tilt speeds or whether there is any jitter.

The Dennard 2060 would be a good choice as (if its like the 2050) it's belt driven, so no gears to give you slack which gives you jitter, and they can go from very, very slow to nice and fast while keeping smooth movement.

Out of interest, I've heard many people, mostly in the USA using cameras to record/broadcast church services, what actually gets recorded/broadcasted, the whole service, broadcasted to people that can't make it to the church?

cheers!

-Dave

Trade Access/CCTV Member

My suggestions, to keep quality up and costs down are to use a high res colour camera (suggest JVC or Sanyo) with zoom lens (suggest Videor Technical) (max resolutions without going to broadcast spec are 480 to 520 TV lines). Many colour cameras on the market meet this spec. This could be mouted on an internal pan/tilt head (recommend Vicon APT3030) which can be controlled from a hardwired joystick controller (suggest Nortek). Control cable is a 12-core multicore. If you use a camera with a Y/C SVHS output, this could connect into the Y/C input of your DVD recorder. I know that everyone's into domes these days and they are more aesthetically pleasing - but you will pay extra for these. If you're happy you have the technical nouse to install the kit - fine. Otherwise, employ a CCTV technician who could have the system installed and working in a few hours. Cost of camera, lens, PT head and controller will be within your 2k budget. :)

Paul Main

ClearView Communications Ltd

Robjohns Road Chelmsford

Essex CM1 3AG

Telephone: 01245 214104

Fax: 01245 214101

paul.main@clearview-communications.com

www.clearview-communications.com

Guest sleman
I've got an EVI-D70P, mine doesn't seems to jitter at the start/end of movement, maybe that occours if you have a camera with worn out gears?

How smooth is the panning/tilt/zoom? The manual says that it's variable speed but does it really function at different speeds with the joystick? Would you say the pan/tilt/zoom is good enough to not look akward in video?

There is a Sony BRC-300 PTZ 3-CCD camera that's designed for broadcast quality, but I'm unsure about the pan and tilt speeds or whether there is any jitter.

I've heard the pan and title speeds are very smooth on these cameras and there is absolutely no jitter. The price is a bit steep at $4k each though. I can't justify paying an extra $3k for smooth pan/tilt and just a little bit more of resolution.

Out of interest, I've heard many people, mostly in the USA using cameras to record/broadcast church services, what actually gets recorded/broadcasted, the whole service, broadcasted to people that can't make it to the church?

Most churches record the sermon to be rebroadcasted. That is what our church is interested in. The broadcast can be used for preaching, etc...

My suggestions, to keep quality up and costs down are to use a high res colour camera (suggest JVC or Sanyo) with zoom lens (suggest Videor Technical) (max resolutions without going to broadcast spec are 480 to 520 TV lines). Many colour cameras on the market meet this spec. This could be mouted on an internal pan/tilt head (recommend Vicon APT3030) which can be controlled from a hardwired joystick controller (suggest Nortek). Control cable is a 12-core multicore. If you use a camera with a Y/C SVHS output, this could connect into the Y/C input of your DVD recorder. I know that everyone's into domes these days and they are more aesthetically pleasing - but you will pay extra for these. If you're happy you have the technical nouse to install the kit - fine. Otherwise, employ a CCTV technician who could have the system installed and working in a few hours. Cost of camera, lens, PT head and controller will be within your 2k budget. :)

I would love to use a standard DV camera and hook it up to a PTZ device. However I have yet to find a PTZ device that does variable speed PTZ and is smooth enough to be used for video recording. I took a look at the Vicon APT3030 and looks like it has 1 speed for tilt and 1 speed for pan.

The VIST25-VRP seems like it has this functionality, anyone have experience with this particular model? Also How can camera zoom be controlled remotely for regular cameras?

Are you aware of any other devices that have variable PTZ?

How smooth is the panning/tilt/zoom? The manual says that it's variable speed but does it really function at different speeds with the joystick? Would you say the pan/tilt/zoom is good enough to not look akward in video?

I'd say that the pan/tilt speeds are smooth enough to use for broadcasting, I've made a virtual joystick program where the further away from the centre of the pad you drag, the faster the camera moves, this seems to do a good job at keeping motion smooth and constant.

As you know the D70 has 18x optical zoom, the less zoom you use in your application, the smoother the pan and tilt movement will be on the video, so you might want to consider this when positioning the camera within the room.

hope this helps!

-Dave

Trade Access/CCTV Member

Guest sleman
I'd say that the pan/tilt speeds are smooth enough to use for broadcasting, I've made a virtual joystick program where the further away from the centre of the pad you drag, the faster the camera moves, this seems to do a good job at keeping motion smooth and constant.

As you know the D70 has 18x optical zoom, the less zoom you use in your application, the smoother the pan and tilt movement will be on the video, so you might want to consider this when positioning the camera within the room.

hope this helps!

-Dave

Dave, any chance you'd be willing to share this program?

Certainly!

A small donation my way and I'll tidy up the program, it's a little messy at the moment as it was only intended for my use, can you let me know what controls you want on the program's window so that I can tidy it up and eliminate the **** :)

Attached is a photo of the current interface view, I've only use it as a testing pad for the VISCA cameras, thats all the EVI range, and some of the block cameras that are used in domes.

post-3498-1143671813_thumb.jpg

Trade Access/CCTV Member

Archived