Security Installer Community

Adding A Wireless Laptop To A Wired Network

Paul P

I would recommend you ditch the USB modem and ICS and get yourself a Netgear DG834G. I've fitted loads of these and never had a problem. Doing this you will gain additional security from the router, so you're relying less on each PC to do it all. You also don't need to have a PC on all the time to access t'internet and most of all, you're not relying on ICS, which is a bit hit and miss at times.

QFA

Guest mw101

i assumed mac filtering was the way to go regarding security?didnt thnk there was a way to defeat it?i had nothing but trouble with wep so never bothered then did a wireless scan 1 night and realised i could see 7 differnt ap so i enabled the mac filtering

i assumed mac filtering was the way to go regarding security?

It's one of the steps to be taken towards securing a network. I have found that problems with security tend to be caused by the devices themselves rather than access points. Driver updates fix the niggly little errors more often than not.

Also, to stop people casually scanning the area and finding your network turn off SSID. I used to have an app on the PDA running all the time but in some areas it was non-stop with pop-ups telling me there were networks nearby, somewhat annoying when I'm trying to read the sat nav underneath them all!

i assumed mac filtering was the way to go regarding security?didnt thnk there was a way to defeat it?i had nothing but trouble with wep so never bothered then did a wireless scan 1 night and realised i could see 7 differnt ap so i enabled the mac filtering

Mac addresses can be very easily spoofed but enable it anyway since the more security measures you have in place makes it that bit more difficult for others to get in.

djrock

Archived