Security Installer Community

!!wasps!! In Lofts

Guest ian@apex network

Hate wasp have to carry my addro pen with me all the time. I'm allergic to the wasp sting but the bee sting never effects me. KILL THE WASPS !!! lol

listenning to a live broadcast on essex radio while driving into work this guy was bashing on about hornets, and how if you leave them alone they are ok. and that on his nature park they had allowed a nest to remain and closed a public area. extolled their virtue's and the construction of nests.

now i always thought hornets were very savage and dangerous, not from personal experience though, so i was interested as you do.

then the interviewer compared hornets to wasps the response was "vicious nasty little b**s****s they are, they should all be destroyed".

it was just such a surprise from a 'nature' guy and at 8:30am in the morning for such stronge terms to be used :rolleyes: .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hmmm I know our little lot in France caused quite a stir in the neighbourhood, if they had been hornets we were advised to call in the pompiers who are like fireman/emergency services who seem to deal with all sorts of "emergency" situations !

perhaps is an 'urwiner' i.e. like stingrays, have the ability to kill or seriously injure but rarely do.

regs

alan

• 1 year later...

A few years ago I was in Yorkshire fitting a system in a bungalow...

Perhaps I should have taken more notice of a few dead wasps on the loft floor, but I didn't...I just got on with the job.

Anyway, it was one of those bungalows with a very low roof-line. The roof trusses were plentyful, and I had to thread myself through them several times as I ran the various cables to the pir's and windows.

When it came to the bellbox, there was a low apex over the front door. It was the highest point on the bungalow.

The inside of the apex was really difficult to get to, but I had a look to see if there was any timberwork or other items I would need to avoid as I had decided to drill from the outside in.

So, hole through...thread cable through from outside. My plan was to tape the end of the wire I threaded through, to the end of a cable fed direct from the panel, and pull it back through from the outside.

I set about my "Krypton Factor" assault course route through the roof trusses, firmly keeping hold of the end of the cable from the panel. I was sliding and wriggling along like a snake on my front. My inspection lamp in one hand, and the cable in the other. I had a roll of insulation tape in my mouth!

Eventually, I got to the apex, found the end of the wire I threaded through from the outside, and taped it to the cable I had dragged through the loft.

To reverse back along the loft, I considered it better to turn over and lie on my back.

***SHOCK***

A wasps nest was inches from my face. I was trapped. There was no quick escape - it had taken me several minutes to get to that point, and it would take me just as long to get out!

A few wasps started to take an interest in my light. I turned it off. Pitch black...with "things" buzzing around my head.

I started to slide back out of the loft in the dark. My eyes slowly became accustomed to the darkness and I could see a little from the light which was shining through the loft opening. It was a long journey though.

Soon I had escaped! ALL I had to do was pull the cable through the wall from the outside.

You know what happened....yeah, the cable snagged. I pulled too hard and the insulation tape gave way. I pulled my original cable back through the wall, and left the end of the cable from the panel somewhere in the wall cavity!

I had to make a return journey - but this time I KNEW I was entering a wasps nest - at least the first time I was blissfully unaware!

I HATE wasps with a passion!

got to be cautious about creature's in lofts thats for sure, how they get on in Australia and the like with funnel webs, snakes and other nasties goodness knows :cold2:

i work alone, so a tip abut cabling the bell in that low roof situation, i use fiber glass cable access rods (screwfix and others) worth every penny trust me.

obviously check for water tanks, pipes and cables etc first, which you can often do from the trap door with a decent torch.

an aside here, those led head torch's are an excellent tool for working lofts, had for about

got to be cautious about creature's in lofts thats for sure, how they get on in Australia and the like with funnel webs, snakes and other nasties goodness knows :cold2:

i work alone, so a tip abut cabling the bell in that low roof situation, i use fiber glass cable access rods (screwfix and others) worth every penny trust me.

obviously check for water tanks, pipes and cables etc first, which you can often do from the trap door with a decent torch.

an aside here, those led head torch's are an excellent tool for working lofts, had for about

If at first you don't succeed...don't try skydiving!

• 2 months later...
I am a beekeeper and have honeybees PLEASE do not cunfuse them with wasps. Thanks.

I have to ask......... how would a thick city boy like me know the difference. To me Bees are fat and furry, Wasps are thinner. bet thats not the whole story though is it ?

I have to ask......... how would a thick city boy like me know the difference. To me Bees are fat and furry, Wasps are thinner. bet thats not the whole story though is it ?

Bit like my mouse with wings ......watch out Roy cropper

Cant believe this threads spreads 2 years

muz

Archived