Security Installer Community

!!wasps!! In Lofts

Guest ian@apex network

Guest ian@apex network

Summer)Friday turn up to install and its a bungalow, + friday = pub by 12 o`clock excellent , got steps in opened loft hatch put lead lamp up, pluged in then !!buzzzzzzz!! lamp was totaly covered in wasps looked like the bulb had blown. No way HATE um, :fear: Cancelled untill sorted,

Anyway it was pub at open time for me sweet as!!

Lead lamp still up there i think!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Cyberprog
Loft tools required.... fly and wasp killer (always in van stock) hammer to hit or throw at rats (bugger the ceiling!!) and I muist learn to wear that ruddy dust mask!!!

LOL@ the rat hammer :)

Yes its true my neighbour used to have honeybees and I got interested i used to have 25 hives but due to work have less now there is upto 70k bees in a hive in summer. Wasps are scum but if you dont annoy honey bees they wont annoy you.

Guest Cyberprog

Yeah, we have both in our loft :) Well, had wasps, we had those destroyed and more recently we've had bees, which the chap managed to remove to add to his collection - we were more than happy to let him take em :)

i was doing work in a loft a couple of years back, there was two flourescent lights up there and one of them was humming away because it hadnt been on for a long time so i get up there working away and the humming noise behind me was getting louder and then it became really loud and when i turned roundthe whole light fitting and that side of the loft was covered in wasps, i ran jumped out of hatch and quickly shut it behind me, and told client they said they get them every year but they dont do anything about it cos they dont use the loft.

Fly's??

Usually a sign of something DEAD! i.e mice, rats, birds etc...

QFA

I was installing in a large old Victorian terrace that had been converted to a dentist. Anyway I was on the landing up the steps drilling under the ornate coving and into the loft, where my colleague was eagerly awaiting the arrival of 1 nice shiny 8 core.

"can you see the drill bit yet" I shouts,

"no but stop drilling" he shouts,

"I have" I replied,

"stop drilling" he repeated,

"I have" I reinforced

Turns out the 'drilling' noise was the humming of a wasp's nest I had missed by inches :fear: , They never did get that Landing detector.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

• 3 weeks later...
Loft tools required.... fly and wasp killer (always in van stock) hammer to hit or throw at rats (bugger the ceiling!!) and I muist learn to wear that ruddy dust mask!!!

would that be a 'claw' hammer? :whistle: sorry!

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i had to move a set of controls assisted by my 13 year old son to a utillity room cupboard, the lady client was a local magistrate and used to getting her own way - bossy boots and some! best always to say Yes! never maybe or worse No!

well on the big day she also arranged for British Gas to install a power shower (all the rage at the time) but they had already missed 3 appointments for various reasons and were late on this day to boot, so were not in her good books.

while the work was going on a fitter came downstairs and stated ' we can not continue as there were wasps in the loft, she would need to get them moved'.

to give you some idea of her response was and i quote "well really, this will be the forthe time you (British Gas) have let me down :realmad: 'pause' it's just not good enough 'pause' well how many wasps were there? :ranting: " the fitter replies very bluntly "i did not stop long enough to count them :bruce_h4h: " it did not help her temper one little bit.

to help her and the fitter i suggested she phone the local council pest control department, and she does only to be told the only guy who deals with insects has gone on holiday that morning for 3 weeks - (her mood gets darker and darker :ninja: ).

apparently then the person at the other end tells her to be sure they are actually wasps and not bees, as bees are a protected species and she/they could be prosecuted - not good for a magistrate that sort of thing and she now has to back down her insistance.

she returns to the hall and tells the fitter "i can not get a pest control man as he is on holiday, and anyway you cant' touche them as they are a protected species". with a pause the fitter turns and yells up the stairs with all delicacy he could muster as an East End Lad "Dave (what Jo!) that bee you squashed earlier (Yeh!) give it the kiss of life it might be protected".

the hunour was lost on the client to say the least, my son and i were absoloutly doubled up and crying with laughter while trying to be diplomatically quiet. :P

it still hurts our sides now when we recall it - and my son is now 32

• 7 months later...

We did a job in a house out in the fields in southampton and every year they got horse flies in the loft and not known to us. So up i jumped in the loft to be attacked by hundreds of flies from all directions, so down i came and asked the customer to call the pest man as she had a contract with a company. 2 hours later out he comes and sets off a couple of these smoke bombs and says to us give it an hour and they will be dead. So up we go an hour later and all you got was crunch crunch crunch so out comes the customer armed with her hoover and hoovers them all up what a long day that was.

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Wasps are scum

lol! the unbiased opinion of a bee keeper? :P

yes RICHL,

like rangers and celtic :P

i can't say i loved wasps either to much, one sunny day doing the sab a top a ladder, i warely watched a wasp after it had buzzed arround me first and landed on one of those big daddy long legs flies (i just hate them). it gripped on with a full nelson and bit off the wings, then the legs and carried off the body - i liked the wasp a lot more after that.

regs

alan

• 4 weeks later...

Agggggg wasps, this is a old one but bare with me.

Picture the scene, 9 yrs old. Spot worlds largest concker, over neighbours fence.

Leap over said fence and land on wasps nest, run fast, faster, beat the six million dollar man in a sprint (oops showin age) wasps now in my shirt, pants the lot. Get to grandmothers house (two streets away) baskets still follow me, dad was there and slung me in bath of water naked me screaming the house down.

Moral here, dont jump on wasps nests at the end of summer............Advice for when they are near you............Pernod and blackcurrant, the blackcurrant attracts them and the pernod kills them, found out this snippet of info when in Lulworth Cove a few yrs back.

cheers

When I was a toddler eating Smarties, a f/';#0ing wasp landed on my hand, I picked it up and tried to eat it, cue visit to hospital because it stung my lip and face swelled up.

Wasps have no purpose on this earth, die scumsuckers.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Opened my velux window in France in the summer to find dozens of wasps (or hornets.... didn't hang around to find out !) buzzing around my head, there was a smallish nest between the frame and the window.

Quickly shut window and retreated....

Haven't seen it in England but went to shops and bought this can of stuff, bit like a CO2 extinguisher.

Open window and do my Rambo impression, firing this stuff in every direction while screaming like a banshee with PMT.

This stuff goes off like a rocket, absolute instant death in a can..... best stuff ever !!!!!!

Judging by your avatar you obviously inhaled some :P

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hate wasp have to carry my addro pen with me all the time. I'm allergic to the wasp sting but the bee sting never effects me. KILL THE WASPS !!! lol

listenning to a live broadcast on essex radio while driving into work this guy was bashing on about hornets, and how if you leave them alone they are ok. and that on his nature park they had allowed a nest to remain and closed a public area. extolled their virtue's and the construction of nests.

now i always thought hornets were very savage and dangerous, not from personal experience though, so i was interested as you do.

then the interviewer compared hornets to wasps the response was "vicious nasty little b**s****s they are, they should all be destroyed".

it was just such a surprise from a 'nature' guy and at 8:30am in the morning for such stronge terms to be used :rolleyes: .

regs

alan

Hmmm I know our little lot in France caused quite a stir in the neighbourhood, if they had been hornets we were advised to call in the pompiers who are like fireman/emergency services who seem to deal with all sorts of "emergency" situations !

perhaps is an 'urwiner' i.e. like stingrays, have the ability to kill or seriously injure but rarely do.

regs

alan

Archived