Security Installer Community

Broadband Dropping Out

Guest ALSEC

Arfur, just yesterday we had an installer (from a good Company) who was setting up a DVR with remote monitoring and did not know where to find IE on his XP machine, novice just isn

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Arfur, just yesterday we had an installer (from a good Company) who was setting up a DVR with remote monitoring and did not know where to find IE on his XP machine, novice just isn

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Broadband will stay on fine for 30min - 1 hour and then spend the next 3 hours dropping in and out. Driving me mad!! voltage at BT Master is 51.89v - never seen it this high (I know it's not much but usually I see around 48/49v) so not sure if this is a problem or not???

Had the same problem on a site it was "our fault" because the alarm was on the same line??

Usb modem would not find adsl even though line voltage was spot on, tried different pc's ect..

Removed all equipment off the line the office fax machine, every handset in the detached bungalow which is separate in grounds & the dc58 off the alarms

when Switched mode power supplies like digiboxes, laptop PSU and low voltage lighting start to break down they can kick out lots of noise. Try using a portable radio set on AM or MW and you will hear the interference radiating out this can affect whole estates. Also like I have mentioned before unbalanced wiring with in the property. Try using a 2wire circuit with Line Jack Units with capacitors for the ring tip. There are loads of things that can cause problems to ADSL signals. Contact your service provider for assistance.

• 6 months later...
Possible causes

1) Extension wiring. (Extension wiring is naturally unbalanced due to A and B leg plus ringer circuit. To stop the unbalancing affect use LJU master types. Theses have built in capacitors that will convert the AC ring signal to ring the phone. This then makes the bell wire redundant so no need to connect it, thus balancing the cable again. Also star wiring can play a big part in ADSL problems due to the nature of the signal. To get around this provide each extension on to a daisy chain type circuit so Master will be 1 then Secondary will be 2 and so on.)

2) ISP speed upgrade. ( Most ISPs are upgrading from 512 to 1 meg automatically but some customers can not support any more than 512. This increase in band width on a line that is either poor or a long distance from the exchange will have intermittent drop outs. Contact your ISP if your not sure how to check your Up and DOWN speed.)

3) Customer equipment. ( This could be any thing that is plugged in to the phone line or router/modem. Do the normal take every thing out of the phone line and check connection to BB it may be a case of elimination. Also a lot of equipment use switch mode power supplies when these go or have very poor RF filtering they can cause wide spread problems of induced AC noise on the PSTN network. A resent case in my neighbourhood was that we were all having problems with are BB. After running the checks all seemed ok. I was in the area that week checking another line in the network when I connected my Digi But "Test Phone" to a pr on the same cable as my BB was on that I noticed the induced AC. With this evidence I manage to get a special RF engineer from the company to track down here the interference was coming from. 3 weeks later the noise was located to a Digital set top box transformer that had gone faulty. Once unplugged 30 connections all came back on line. To check if the noise is present in you street get your self a cheap hand held radio and switch to SW,MW you will hear the noise as it will bleed all over the other channels.

A good PSTN line should read 50vdc to 55vdc with a reading of 45ma on dial tone. There are many other problems that can cause ADSL drop out but the ones listed are common. If you still have no joy then contact your ISP. But be warned if proved to be your equipment i.e., any thing from the NTE then charges will apply. BT will charge

Hi smart 1 in order to balance and inprove a system should you send the signal down a pair and then return on a different pair to the next outlet to avoid a star configuration or would the extra cable run ofset any gains over a star configuration for a broad band signal?

Don't think you'd see much of a difference either way.

What is the max cable run on normal bt cable?

Miles and miles. Bear in mind it travels half way across your town through rain filled manholes full of joints with mixtures of various wiring types. Running the last few metres through your house in decent quality CW1308 will suffice.

If you are having trouble with intermittent connections due to poor extension wiring then I would firstly fit a filtered faceplate and either (ideally) run a new cable from there to the router or (not so ideally) use spare pairs in the existing extension wiring to run a seperate unfiltered pair to the router.

Star wiring is bad for BB signals so yes back end down 2nd pr but if you can try and use another cable that would be better. Another way would be to just connect a Wireless router at the master point and use a wifi network.

Get your self one of these

http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?pr...=262&page=1 this will help no end. A separate port for BB and another for POTS (Telephone)

post-676-1168626005.jpg

Archived