Security Installer Community

Lander alarms

Didnt realise Lander was the original company that is now honeywell!?

Surprised we dont see more boxes, still a couple round here, I believe Moderns bought them?

Hence the high useage of Galaxy?

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Didnt realise Lander was the original company that is now honeywell!?

Surprised we dont see more boxes, still a couple round here, I believe Moderns bought them?

Hence the high useage of Galaxy?

71288[/snapback]

I dont believe thats quite correct. Lander were bought by Modern,but Galaxy was originally Microtech.

What makes you think otherwise?

Galaxy was called the Exsecutive 1000 i think which lander made.

where the speiling theudfhgfg gone.

71355[/snapback]

Lander didnt make anything as far as i recall, but your correct about the pre Gal panel, it was called Excecutive or something like that. It was made by Microtech which was a new founded company.

Oh and one other small point, Microtech were not bought by Honeywell, they were bought by Ademco who were then bought by Honeywell. B)

Edited by ian.cant

Lander were the original Microtech, they had a design and manufacturing arm.

71343[/snapback]

Yep made there own kit & flogged to others a bit like chubb & guardall.

Galaxy was called the Exsecutive 1000 i think which lander made.

where the speiling theudfhgfg gone.

71355[/snapback]

Which we had to remove & fitted the Tunstall **** 6

Lander didnt make anything as far as i recall, but your correct about the pre Gal panel, it was called Excecutive or something like that. It was made by Microtech which was a new founded company.

Oh and one other small point, Microtech were not bought by Honeywell, they were bought by Ademco who were then bought by Honeywell. B)

71369[/snapback]

I spotted that //.National Installer.// in us are dsc controls which brings to the point Which was the worse tyco kit ademco or mircotech or dsc

Edited by Mr Happy

I spotted that //.National Installer.// in us are dsc controls which brings to the point Which was the worse tyco kit ademco or mircotech or dsc

71611[/snapback]

Tyco own DSC, cant be long before DSC is going to be the preffered //.National Installer.// panel over here.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

• 2 months later...
Guest cctvman

Lander now there is a blast from the past (showing my age) !

Microtech made the panels that lander used from the late 70's except that M&W CPA6 which sounded like it was ready to blow up while running through it's exit tone :banned:

From the early keyswitch panel to the exe 50-100 & 1000 which was more like using a securicor panel but half the size & a bigger zone expander box which you could work in

The bellbox's were also built in there East Kilbride factory & the last was the microtec polycarb cover bell & siren which had the great S.A. module that allways let water in the rear

Microtech never made products for anyone else until Lander was bought out in the very early 90's if I remember correctly & selsport does a Lander bell up with 2.5mm clips bring back any memories ?

Lander was one of the best companys around certainly up in scotland around the mid-late 80's until they sold up

Right i better get of this subject before i start having nightmares about old panels like the ademco 210 & Munford & White Cpa 6 Arrggghhh :fear:

Bring back the CPC 4 !

cheers

Cctvman

Did //.National Installer.// buy Thorn??

can't rember now.

no..thorn bought adtmodern after //.National Installer.// bought modern.you might stll see some of the rare white //.National Installer.// modern hex bells around...

I actually prefer the white HEXs. Chris whats the story with them. I know some NACs insist on them?

ive got a couple for old times sake.. :no: there was one nac who specd then to match there shop fronts but weve lost them to the post office.. :ninja:

Guest Trulloman

Arghhhhhhh!! dont forget the Micro 9 and the later Micro 3 or was it 6 with the built in faults that came as standard at no extra cost. Had the rows of red and green leds that gave a nice flashing light show.(if only the panel worked as well)

Also //.National Installer.// did try out the DSC range 3/4 years ago, soon removed them from the stock list. There are a couple I know of that have hard wired and radio on on same panel. Customer knows more about the panel than the engineers.

you might stll see some of the rare white //.National Installer.// modern hex bells around...

Rare?

Theirs still a shed load of jelly moulds & the early 80's

Edited by Mr Happy

• 8 years later...

In 1980, I left Further Education and entered Lander Alarms in Glasgow as their training officer.  A couple of years later the Mighty Micro appeared and the first successful cpu based panel was the Micro Nine made, in house, by the workshop at Polmadie.  Soon after, the Galaxy500 was born, based on the CPA6 design.  The guy behind the panel's concept was my line manager Jim Green.  The guy who helped develop the software and test it on site then train the engineers was yours truly.  I travelled all over the country demonstrating the new concept of programmability but only with the forerunner to the Galaxy, the Micro Nine.

Eventually I taught the alarm course in Paisley's Reid Kerr College at the start of SITO's NVQ/SVQ.

Hope this helps with the history of the trade.  Now Power over IP is my interest and configuring routers.

Sinclair's first home computer was launched at the same time as the Micro Nine.  Now we have more than enough keeping up with these students and others who programme viruses.

Linux is the answer to that lot and guess what?  It's FREE!

cheers

Saysles

• 11 months later...

lander was indeed the birthplace of Microtec security. microtec was formed in 1990 after a management buyout by Jim Green and Jim Gemmel. The micro 6 & micro 8 panels etc were the forerunners the the executive systems. i.e exec 50, exec 250 & exec 1000. the Galaxy range was based directly on the exec systems both of which were dam fine control systems. having spent Many years as tech support engineer from microtec to Ademco thru to Honeywell I was proud to have been able to provide many a solution to installers at all hours of the day and middle of the night. some of you may well have woken me at crazy hours on the 24 hour support line. I was always glad to give a solution to any situation. the beauty of the good ol galaxy was that there was many solutions to any situation. :-)

Some history there, never had to use the 24hr support number but when we did have a problem the tech support in scotland was the best ever, phone up with a strange request for links somebody would do set it up write down the configuration and email to us.

Ademco was going to give us as our firmware then they sold to honeywell who aren't interested, shame really good panel but now need to find an alternative due to the price rise.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

yeh we always tried to make sure we knew the answer before you asked the question had to be totaly switched on and top of the game. if we didnt have the answer immeadiatly we would get it n give you 100% till we got your solution. ther was problems getting thru and it just got worse the lines were always very busy but they just kept buying more manufacturers, getting rid of thier tech support and giving the extra work to us which meant more products to support with the same five or 6 guys. they didnt see that more products to support meant more calls so more engineers required. and the americans wanted a call centre instead of a technical service and suppprt centre. god only knows what state it is now that they have moved it overseas. the product knowledge has been diluted to some low levels over the past few years.. its sad..