Security Installer Community

To charge or not to charge...

andyhodson

Got called out to a system this morning (non contract) customer saying his alarm was going off outside and couldn't stop it. I could hear a noise that didn't sound like an alarm in the background but as he was only 2 minutes down the road I said I'd go and take a look.

Anyway, got there to find noise had stopped and the bloke (a bit of a not-right if truth be told) said he couldn't explain it.

Checked all the system and nothing appeared to be wrong. Then I heard a 'pip!'

Searched the house looking for the source of the noise and it led me outside. At that point, I was thinking that it was a duff SAB as it did appear to be coming from there but I was puzzled. Then I hear 'pip!' coming from the vicinity of some waste bags. Sure enough, it pips again and I get him to open a bag and empty the contents. I'd already sussed out that the pipping was coming from a different bag, but wanted some revenge so got him to empty the wrong bag over his path :whistle:

After a minute or two scuffing around in the bag, he pulls out a smoke alarm and sure enough, pressing the button generated the exact same noise as he had heard before. Being a bit thick, he still didn't quite understand that there was nothing wrong with the system until I'd explained what had happened in detail, 3 or 4 times :realmad:

So the question is, do I send him a bill for this binbag noise abating service? :hmm:

Manufacturer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, yes you should charge. Whether you had a 2 minute journey or 45 stuck in traffic should be irrelevant. However, we all end up doing favours for people (big mistake) - so if it only took you a few minutes and you can't realy justify the charge to yourself, and if he was a bit dopey, then maybe don't charge - or charge a reduced rate. If you called someone out would they come out for free - I don't think so. So why do so many of us face this dilema?

:hmm:

And he is not even a contract customer. Double :hmm:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

No I dont think you should charge him.

You shouldnt have gone unless it was understood he would be charged for your visit. I think the mistake for not stating this is yours, and therefore you cant charge him.

Put this one down to experience or call it a good dead, whichever.

Yeah I think its taken as read when you call someone out that you are going to get charged, so I'd say that the assumption is 'I'm getting charged for this' unless no bill appears.

I'm sure some cowboy types might have taken it one stage further and fitted a new SAB, then quietly removed the smoke alarm from the bin, but I don't mind doing the odd favour here and there for the mentally bewildered.

Manufacturer

Guest IM_Alarms

The reason so many alarm installers are not earning what they should be earning is exactly this kind of, 'let them off' attitude. When will everyone take a leaf out of the plumbers book and charge everyone what you want to earn or don't do the job. You can't blame customers for wanting everything on the cheap, because you guys have given yourselves the reputation of being cheap. Look round at other trades and you'll find that alarm installer is rated alongside painter/ decorator for value when it should be equal with fire engineer/ electrician/ plumber.

Consider, the can of worms officially open..............

Another way of looking at it is.... "potential new customer?"

If the answer is yes (him or family or friends as potential profitable future business) then maybe you do it for free or cheaply.

But whatever you do, give him a bill showing the normal charge and discount. So he knows he got a bargain! :yes:

Got called out to a system this morning (non contract) customer saying his alarm was going off outside and couldn't stop it.  I could hear a noise that didn't sound like an alarm in the background but as he was only 2 minutes down the road I said I'd go and take a look.

Anyway, got there to find noise had stopped and the bloke (a bit of a not-right if truth be told) said he couldn't explain it.

Checked all the system and nothing appeared to be wrong.  Then I heard a 'pip!'

Searched the house looking for the source of the noise and it led me outside.  At that point, I was thinking that it was a duff SAB as it did appear to be coming from there but I was puzzled.  Then I hear 'pip!' coming from the vicinity of some waste bags.  Sure enough, it pips again and I get him to open a bag and empty the contents.  I'd already sussed out that the pipping was coming from a different bag, but wanted some revenge so got him to empty the wrong bag over his path  :whistle:

After a minute or two scuffing around in the bag, he pulls out a smoke alarm and sure enough, pressing the button generated the exact same noise as he had heard before.  Being a bit thick, he still didn't quite understand that there was nothing wrong with the system until I'd explained what had happened in detail, 3 or 4 times  :realmad:

So the question is, do I send him a bill for this binbag noise abating service?  :hmm:

70062[/snapback]

If you decide not to charge (please dont). Send me his details and i will bill him. Well if you want to give it away ill take the cash from you any day. :hmm:

Jef

Customers!

Sorry but yo MUST charge, it gains you respect and he will look a little closer next time and not waste yours. What's wrong with people not wanting to charge for their knowledge and labour.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I agree, you aren't running a charity here, this guy phoned YOU, if he didnt expect to recieve a bill, then he is taking the michael. Im not suggesting you should invioce him for anything more than expenses, but i wouldnt let it go.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

CHARGE HIM!!!!!

YOU are one of the GOOD guys,

you dont appear on Rogue Traders,

like you say if you were a cowboy he would have had a new bell fitted and 2 hours labour.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

When S/Employed, I used to be inclined to agree with Richl and would have looked at it as a potential new client or a recommendation (a one off).

You soon realise that some will push it too far and expect it as the norm.

We always tell them there will be a call out charge if non contracted & if it's out of hours it's more & at the Eng's discretion.

I've never called out a plumber or mechanic expecting not to pay.

Chris

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

I would charge for this its your time that is being used just becouse the fault had nothing to do with the alarm system you have every reason to charge.

we got called out to the same thing last week i was covering call for an engineer when a customer on contract phoned at 8.00 explaining that they could not turn the alarm system off and that we had to attend straight away. i phoned an engineer told them to go straight there instead of coming into the office. customer had phoned 6 times asking why we where taking so long when he got there he had great delight in pointing out it was the interlinked smoke detectors causing the problems. then the customer said do we have a callout charge for this. he had pleasure in saying yes

Mark Smith, Director, S M Fire & Security Ltd, Bradford

Guest MSI New York

My service charge plan: I charge $65 to ring the doorbell. If I have to open my toolbox, it goes to $85 dollars. If I have to replace something and I end up selling the guy a new part, thats different, but I won't show up for less than $65.

On one occasion, the customer gave me bad directions, which made me angry, so I ended up charging her $125 to discover one of her windows was open ("Oh, I forgot that window had an alarm on it").

The guy calls you for service, and you drive there fully willing to stay there all day to fix whatever's broken, if need be. Because you got lucky and found the problem quick he should get a discount? Shyah.

Imagine if you haden't dicovered the beeping wa coming from the bags, you'd still be there looking.

My god... you lot actually agree with me, thats a first!

Whenever somebody phones I always tell them the call out rate so theres no arguments.

One customer refused to pay me for fixing a shutter contact saying it went wrong during the warranty period. You should of called me during the warranty then...

Are you coming or what he says in his own accent (think you know what I mean)

No I say, not if your not paying. Glad to see the back of the pillock. Someone else is now no doubt regretting taking him on, him and his constant advice.... because we all know they know more about alarms don't they.

charge

my wife called out an engineer for the washing machine.It turns out he was there all of ten secons as the machine won't start until a certian amount of washing is in and he picked this up straight away.

cost £40.00

i will do the same always although sometimes you feel a bit guilty.

Couldn't agree more Jef, ALWAYS invoice.

As wise men have said before me, "Only a fool works for nothing" and as for the people who moan because we have corrected the fault in mins, they seem to forget that they are paying us for what we know, NOT what we do. :angry:

I spent 3 days fiddling with the tv when the picture turned a funny colour, finaly gave up and rang the TV guy, he was here 15 mins and gone. TV works and I was £60 poorer. :(

Turns out the fault was a common one with that Chassis so he knew exactly what to change and whereabouts on the board the faulty part was. (Duff positron)

I didn't bitch at him over the cost and how little time he'd been here because I respect his knowledge of his trade. :)

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Couldn't agree more Jef, ALWAYS invoice.

As wise men have said before me, "Only a fool works for nothing" and as for the people who moan because we have corrected the fault in mins, they seem to forget that they are paying us for what we know, NOT what we do. :angry:

I spent 3 days fiddling with the tv when the picture turned a funny colour, finaly gave up and rang the TV guy, he was here 15 mins and gone. TV works and I was £60 poorer.  :(

Turns out the fault was a common one with that Chassis so he knew exactly what to change and whereabouts on the board the faulty part was.  (Duff positron)

I didn't bitch at him over the cost and how little time he'd been here because I respect his knowledge of his trade. :)

Regards

Bellman

70248[/snapback]

Also when life-critical ( :whistle: ) items go faulty, such your TV, you are more inclined to pay for its repair than an alarm system that can save your life or your valuables.

With alarms though, especially with contract customers, they always expect everything for free. How many calls have we had "I want to change alarm companies because my current co has charged me for a call-out". Don't even bother talking to them anymore - when they find out it will cost them more money to change companies they soon shut up. But everybody wants something for free and is prepared to argue for it. Hail Jeff's signature.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

So the question is, do I send him a bill for this binbag noise abating service?
The fact your wondering whether to bill him implies that you might not. Perhaps because he was only up the road and you'd traced the cause of his Alarm Noise fairly quickly.

Did he offer you anything for your troubles..? If he did and you accepted it then consider yourself paid, even if it was only equivalent to a few pint's at the local.

If not send him the bill for your time on-site.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Read this with interest - I am not in the Alarm business, but experience similar events - You have to charge Andy.

Whether he is under contract to you or not. Have some standard charges laid out in your T&Cs for contracted customers, that a call-out fee applies for issues such as this which would come under "user error".

If not contracted, then quote them your minimum call-out charge and hourly rate before you visit so they are in no doubts.

If you think you are going to get repeat business or referrals from a client, no danger in giving a discount or a little extra time but still charge as "nothing is for nothing" in this world and like all the other posters mention, you do not get a plumber, electrician, computer repair man or any other trade saying "don't worry about, it's on the house".

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Archived