Security Installer Community

To charge or not to charge...

andyhodson

Just got back from a callout. CCTV cameras not working. Logged as a total system failure.

Get to site. Its a pub. Greeted by manager, shows me a blank screen on the bar remote monitor. DJ is setting up the disco.

Manager insists it must be the dvr. Check the dvr, its humming along fine, and the monitor above it is working properly.

Manager doesnt want me behind the bar as I might 'get in the way', but lets me after 20 mins of waiting.

Monitor has no power. Or IEC cable feeding it. The IEC cable is now re routed, and powering a disco light.

Cue me unplugging the disco light, and re plugging the IEC back to the monitor.

Voila. One callout fee please !.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mate went from Blackburn to London to turn a monitor back on (not unplugged or anything)

with a hefty callout charge no doubt, like my call out on thursday, no power to boiler, walked in to dentists looked at the spur behind a machine switched back on and pushed the power button on the boiler boiler power resolved, some people would be dangerous if they had a brain cell!!

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

some customers wont help on the phone as they know best and your part of the problem.

^^ this, Ive just one too, right in the middle of Top Gear. Bitch.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Christmas eve past, 7pm, bells only customer calls saying that his downstairs sockets are tripping, they won't reset and the alarm is "bleeping".

Just over 24 hours previous one of our guys had fitted new end station, RKP's and SAB at the same gaff so this guy is ranting down the phone that it's our fault and wants us to sort it now. He was not listening when I asked him to check and try a few things so I had to go.

Took no more than two minutes to work out that the Christmas tree lights were the culprit.

" Your'e not going to charge me " he says " It's Christmas eve ! "

I just can't get my head around all this.

Phone fix - F o C

Attend site - CHARGE [ Unless covered by a fully comprehensive contract ] - wilful damage excepted

What's difficult about that?

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Agree as above, surely the customer would be happy to pay, say 60% of a call out and get back to bed with a working system, rather than pay full whack and wait for an engineer?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

some customers wont help on the phone as they know best and your part of the problem.

^^ this, Ive just one too, right in the middle of Top Gear. Bitch.

I just politely reply that they can sit and wait for me to turn up several hours later or they can spend 5 minutes just going through the symptoms its up to them, I have had occasions when plums will still insist I attend without checking the obviose but most then realise that its their time theyre wasting.

Archived