Security Installer Community

To charge or not to charge...

andyhodson

CHARGE HIM!!!!!

YOU are one of the GOOD guys,

you dont appear on Rogue Traders,

like you say if you were a cowboy he would have had a new bell fitted and 2 hours labour.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When S/Employed, I used to be inclined to agree with Richl and would have looked at it as a potential new client or a recommendation (a one off).

You soon realise that some will push it too far and expect it as the norm.

We always tell them there will be a call out charge if non contracted & if it's out of hours it's more & at the Eng's discretion.

I've never called out a plumber or mechanic expecting not to pay.

Chris

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

I would charge for this its your time that is being used just becouse the fault had nothing to do with the alarm system you have every reason to charge.

we got called out to the same thing last week i was covering call for an engineer when a customer on contract phoned at 8.00 explaining that they could not turn the alarm system off and that we had to attend straight away. i phoned an engineer told them to go straight there instead of coming into the office. customer had phoned 6 times asking why we where taking so long when he got there he had great delight in pointing out it was the interlinked smoke detectors causing the problems. then the customer said do we have a callout charge for this. he had pleasure in saying yes

Mark Smith, Director, S M Fire & Security Ltd, Bradford

Guest MSI New York

My service charge plan: I charge $65 to ring the doorbell. If I have to open my toolbox, it goes to $85 dollars. If I have to replace something and I end up selling the guy a new part, thats different, but I won't show up for less than $65.

On one occasion, the customer gave me bad directions, which made me angry, so I ended up charging her $125 to discover one of her windows was open ("Oh, I forgot that window had an alarm on it").

The guy calls you for service, and you drive there fully willing to stay there all day to fix whatever's broken, if need be. Because you got lucky and found the problem quick he should get a discount? Shyah.

Imagine if you haden't dicovered the beeping wa coming from the bags, you'd still be there looking.

My god... you lot actually agree with me, thats a first!

Whenever somebody phones I always tell them the call out rate so theres no arguments.

One customer refused to pay me for fixing a shutter contact saying it went wrong during the warranty period. You should of called me during the warranty then...

Are you coming or what he says in his own accent (think you know what I mean)

No I say, not if your not paying. Glad to see the back of the pillock. Someone else is now no doubt regretting taking him on, him and his constant advice.... because we all know they know more about alarms don't they.

charge

my wife called out an engineer for the washing machine.It turns out he was there all of ten secons as the machine won't start until a certian amount of washing is in and he picked this up straight away.

cost £40.00

i will do the same always although sometimes you feel a bit guilty.

Archived