Security Installer Community

To charge or not to charge...

andyhodson

You know, Andy it's quite clear that you should have charged for this little adventure (as we all would have)

All I can say is take some comfort in the fact that you got him to empty the bin bags over his path.. even getting him to do the wrong one first! He may well have no problems with his alarm but I bet he sure stunk like Dog sh*t & Kippers for while!

My god... you lot actually agree with me, thats a first!

Whenever somebody phones I always tell them the call out rate so theres no arguments.

One customer refused to pay me for fixing a shutter contact saying it went wrong during the warranty period. You should of called me during the warranty then...

Are you coming or what he says in his own accent (think you know what I mean)

No I say, not if your not paying. Glad to see the back of the pillock. Someone else is now no doubt regretting taking him on, him and his constant advice.... because we all know they know more about alarms don't they.

It's like going to a pet shop and buying a goldfish with lifetime warranty... so you take it back because it has died and the pet shop refuse to refund me cause the warranty as expired ( because it's dead)

Trade Member

• 1 year later...
Couldn't agree more Jef, ALWAYS invoice.

As wise men have said before me, "Only a fool works for nothing" and as for the people who moan because we have corrected the fault in mins, they seem to forget that they are paying us for what we know, NOT what we do. :angry:

I spent 3 days fiddling with the tv when the picture turned a funny colour, finaly gave up and rang the TV guy, he was here 15 mins and gone. TV works and I was £60 poorer. :(

Turns out the fault was a common one with that Chassis so he knew exactly what to change and whereabouts on the board the faulty part was. (Duff positron)

I didn't bitch at him over the cost and how little time he'd been here because I respect his knowledge of his trade. :)

Regards

Bellman

The item in question was a posistor - this has a low resistance when cold which gets higher as it warms up. This is used to energise the de-guassing coils in the TV which in turn de-magnetises the CRT. This was the cause of your funny colours. Don't muck about with televisions unless you know what you are doing. :yes:

• 6 months later...

Many years ago, I was doing a full install at one house.

When I came down my ladders, the next door neighbour appeared and stated that he had a problem with his alarm, and could I fix it?

I said I would when I had finished the install later in the day.

I mentioned this to the woman whose hose I was working at, and she told me to stay away from her neighbour..."they're nothing but trouble".

I said I couldn't very well not call round as I had promised. She implored me not to go round..."just pretend you had forgotten".

Like a fool...I went round!

So, a quick check revealed an intermittent fault with the bell box tamper. To be honest, the whole system was about a million years old and only fit for scrap, but it was obvious I wouldn't get away with that suggestion.

"It's a great alarm system that you know boy" said the householder

I replied that it needs some work and the problem lies in the bellbox or wiring.

"There's nowt up with the bell box. You're not going to replace that unnecessarily" he said.

"Erm, well, I can make a change in the control box to isolate the problem, but it's not really the right thing to do"

"Will it stop it going off at random times?" he asked.

"Yes"

"Do it"

So...I linked out the bell box tamper. (Don't shout at me guys for my foolishness...I was trying to help the customer!!!)

When I closed the panel, I said job done, and said, "for a cash job, call it twenty quid".

"You what? But you were already here! It's not cost you anything to do that"

"It's

• 1 year later...

I had to go out to a job because someone said "my bell box isnt flashing" thinking they must mean the lights to show the bell is working. anyway i pulled up this really long drive to find the bell flashing as it should be. i got out of my van and said to the lady "you have a problem with your bell?" to see her point at the bell on the side and say "yes its not flashing" the reason why that is because it was a dummy box

she got charged because of my diesel to get there and for the fact the dummy box has never flashed.

my time where i could of been at another job earning more money.

so we are not charities, we need jobs to survive and if you give freebies out then everyone will be like "can you just do me this little job while your here"

Similar thing, had a customer with a a new extension going up whose builder insisted the dummy bellbox was a live one when customer phoned. So we went round and undone a couple of screws and moved it for

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

• 2 years later...

Had a customer haggling over my estimate after their alarm failed after a powercut...

I'd mentioned that a fault after a powercut was likely to be backup battery related, and therefore be prepared for a new battery.

When I gave him the estimate, he started to argue..."but its only a case of removing the cover and fitting a new battery".

When I politely suggested he might want to do it himself then, he said "you've got to be joking! It might electrocute me".

He agreed to pay me!

Archived